questions on SWR bass 750 schematic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I am working with a SWR Bass750. I am studying the power amp portion of the schematic. I have limited experience with solid state power sections and I am trying to grow in my understanding of the theory. I attached the schematic for this amp. I am wondering about what the purpose of Q15 and Q16 in the upper left corner of the power amp section. wisdom would be appreciated. thanks in advance. I am likely to have some follow up questions. LOL Fred

Attachments

• Bass 750 (Complete).pdf
    581.4 KB · Views: 217
Q15/16 form a CCS, constant current source, for the differential pair, Q1/2. Also could be a form of turn on/off control since the DC voltage developed by D7 needs to be present to overcome the -VDC on the base of Q15. Once the base of Q15 is + Q16 is turned on providing current flow to the input diff., Q1/2. As soon as the AC power is cut the base of Q15 goes negative, Q16 turns off and the circuit is unable to pass a signal.

Craig

That’s awesome, thanks for the replies. I was suspecting that there was a turn on delay due the charging of c16. More questions if you don’t mind........ I am considering building this circuit to experiment with. The power supply I have in mind is +-90v. This one is +-100v. My gut says it will work just fine with the reduction of voltage. Are there any areas of the circuit that should be modified or adjusted?

I’m a little confused by your question. If you’re asking why I want to build the circuit it’s because I think it would be fun, rewarding, and a great opportunity to learn something. If you’re asking why I would want to modify it, that would be because the change in the rail voltage. I am wondering if other component values would better suit lower rail voltage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.