diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/the-lounge/)
-   -   Yet another basic question (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/the-lounge/318086-basic-question.html)

scottjoplin 28th January 2018 09:36 PM

Yet another basic question

Is it just me or are there more basic questions being asked here every day?

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with them, but I wonder why it is that they are asked here in the first place.
I have my theories but I want to hear yours :scratch2:

phase 28th January 2018 10:35 PM

Maybe people are just being resourceful:)

nigelwright7557 28th January 2018 10:46 PM

We have to be tolerant of all levels on a diy audio site.
I made some pretty stupid mistakes when I first started and still do when learning something new. So I would never ridicule a stupid question.
On the other hand google is your best friend for knowledge.

scottjoplin 28th January 2018 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/the-lounge/318086-basic-question-post5323326.html#post5323326)
On the other hand google is your best friend for knowledge.

I wonder if this is the case. In my opening post I made it clear (I thought) that I wasn't being judgemental

nigelwright7557 28th January 2018 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottjoplin (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/the-lounge/318086-basic-question-post5323331.html#post5323331)
I wonder if this is the case. In my opening post I made it clear (I thought) that I wasn't being judgemental

I wasn't judging you. Just suggesting we need tolerance of beginners.
I have seen quite a few comments like "are you for real?" in some threads to na´ve questions.

scottjoplin 28th January 2018 11:04 PM

No, I know, I thought you thought I was judging people who post basic questions. I agree with what you say about some of the comments to naive questions

globalplayer 28th January 2018 11:11 PM

OK.
One time I posted that I have doubts that the question is serious.
I think it was some kind of class d amp distortion graph and the question has been like: "Why is 1 khz distortion so high on class d amps?".
Well..
I still think this is a trolling question.

scottjoplin 28th January 2018 11:15 PM

With some experience it's usually quite easy to tell whether people are genuine, and in the end it doesn't matter that much. But that's not really the point of this thread

OffGridKindaGuy 29th January 2018 01:09 AM

I'm still an "Uninformed" noob myself, even though I've been here for a while. It really takes the wind from the sails when a question that one may ask is treated like a kindergartner wanting to build a rocket ship. I'm sure there are trolls but not everyone is..

I didn't read that any requirements or training was needed before joining. We are here to learn from experienced people. Please take all questions and give them at least a little respect and remember.. Everyone must start somewhere..

Isn't it what this site is all about? Maybe lack of research might irritate some of you but be respectable to the ones that want to learn. The trolls will show their faces soon enough. That's what moderators are for..

Honestly, I build all kinds of sound gizmos and I love it! But, I'm a bit ashamed to share because I have a small budget and most all of my items aren't built with the high dollar products like most folks use here. I do a lot of reading and I have learned a lot and I thank everyone! I also have learned that I had better do some research before I ask anything on here, so.. I understand..

*Noob Rant Off* ;)

VenusFly 29th January 2018 03:06 AM

The original search function is terrible and that is usually what beginners use first to find stuff on the site. So the inexperienced go there, find nothing, get stressed and post a thread.

Also google isn't what it used to be, whenever you search for something simple you either get inundated with a corporation looking to offer a solution or sell a product OR you get a first page full of youtube videos full of video bloggers.

The downfall of the original classic www is detrimental to any hobby and even more so here especially when there are corporations like google stifling the internet. and it doesn't help that the old threads on this website have missing information/images.

Websites like this for example are buried underneath youtube and corporate paid-for search results:
Power Amplifier Fundamental
Notes on the Troubleshooting and Repair of Television Sets
DIY Audio Articles

Whereas in the past they used to be the top hits in a search engine. Unless you remember or bookmark the site you are never going to find it.

So expect more simple questions in the future. Or start a thread to answer them all in one place. I don't know.