Please Don't Feed The Deer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The deer population is growing around is this area. Local news reports say are now in the streets of Wash DC.

They swing buy here a couple of times a day. One afternoon when I was up on the hill, they walked right by me. One likes to snort and stomp his hoof, which is what they do to warn the others.

It is tempting to leave goodies out for them, but they say it is best to cut down branches for them to eat.

btw the fence is being removed, not installed.

Attachments

• Dont Feed Them.jpg
    Dont Feed Them.jpg
    415.7 KB · Views: 501
Last edited:
Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
In my last house there were deer that had escaped (some 60 years ago) from the deer park at the local stately home. I would get 14 or more in the garden at night, which could be a shock if you needed to go out to the car. Ate all the roses and all the tulips!

Lyme is on the rise here in UK now, but not at the levels you get.

When I lived in Florida I was awakened several days in a row by a metallic pounding sound. After a few days I went outside to investigate and saw a woodpecker pecking away at the aluminum shield around a street light. I thought the woodpecker had developed brain damage from the repeated pounding and went back to bed. Later on I discovered that the woodpecker wasn't so stupid after all. He would whack away at that light for a minute or so, then hop down to the ground below and eat all the tasty crispy baked bugs that he just knocked out of the light.....then he would move down the street to the next light pole and repeat the process.

Deer are tasty.....So go on, buy a gun, shoot the dear and enjoy it's meat.

We have a lot of deer here. This year the apple tree I planted 2 years ago developed 11 apples. I got to eat zero. The deer and birds beat me to them, since they didn't care if they weren't ripe. One of my neighbor's garden gets trashed by the deer since he refuses to use an electric fence (grandkids). I have a gun, I don't shoot the deer, but I must admit to eating some of the meat from the deer he shot in my back yard. Yep, tasty!

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Maine has a reputation for deer hunting, and we do bag quite a few.

But Maine does not have deer like we had back in New Jersey. Maine used to, when land cleared for fields was allowed to go wild again (when trucks and supermarkets replaced local farms). That in-between stage is deer heaven; Maine is growing past that. Next best is Suburbia.

I advise heavy pickup trucks with grille guards. You can't shoot deer around houses. But that's where they are! I once attempted a deer with a 1979 Thunderbird, inadvertently (they really do jump right out), but this did not go well (he got away-- 2 tons was not enough impact).

After living with deer in NJ, I consider them the same as rats or spruce trees. I don't presently have a rat or deer problem, but I have spent the last few weeks taking out 80 foot spruce weeds before any more fall on my power wire.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Lots of deer around here (columbia black tails). They are quite tme. In the grassy are on the other side of the garden, in the driveway, all over.

They are a problem in the city. With the nice weather around here they don’t lack for food. They eat the low hanging fruit outside the fence. The bears & squirrels get at those. If the bears do there is usually none left.

The only legal way to kill them is with the car, something you don’t want to do as it can mess up the car. I did get some nice bambi steaks from one of those road-kills. My brother struck it with the Rover, him and the passeger loaded it into the truck, and a friend did all the proper prework and butched it. I hit one with the truck… it was a green mess when i hauled it off the road.

dave

Hitting a deer with a small car can be quite dangerous. The low front end can flip them up into the windshield. A deer hitting a front seat occupant can lead to serious injury or worse.

I have only hit one deer so far. It was in a small town right just outside the main city. Jumped out and hitting the brakes just tapped it in the left hind leg. It fell over got back up and then continued to cross the interstate. No car damage.

However due to the common attitude of hunters during deer season my coat is bright red.

There was a jogger who was killed jogging in the woods wearing tan clothing. Jury found the shooter not guilty.

Of course my tulips are just a snack for local wildlife.

One local township does allow bow hunting. Badly aimed arrows don't go through the walls of houses. Out past the suburbs I know folks who sit on their porch to successfully hunt deer.

Way out folks really hunt to supplement their food budget.

Our second house on Beaver Lake, is an area where Deer are protected. So, they outnumber everyone and run the place with absolute impunity.

Big, well fed, deer. An Oak tree in our front yard puts out acorns the size of my thumb.

They block the roads. They eat everything, except the grass. Our "backyard" runs steeply down to the lake edge, and from the deck on the street level floor, I could easily bag these rascals all evening long. But you can't, and they know it.

A few places have allowed special hunts within city limits to try to thin them out. Mountain Lion sightings ( and kills ) are occurring again, no doubt in response to the big deer and wild hog population. It's unclear whether a breeding population of these predators has re established. Game and Fish says no. People that are in the woods a lot are less certain.

Win W5JAG

rdf, you need to be careful while cycling.

Hi woody. I accidentally came within feet of a faun this year. It can be a very busy trail so they seem acclimated to the whizzing traffic and just stroll away. The one time it became a concern was riding through snow late one evening and realizing a 10-12 point buck was a dozen feet off the trail staring at my handlebar light. It happened right around the red dot.
Riding these trails for over twenty five years and at most seeing a rabbit or raccoon, for me the memory well outweighs the risk.

Attachments

• torontodeer.jpg
    torontodeer.jpg
    576.5 KB · Views: 228
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hitting a deer with a small car can be quite dangerous. The low front end can flip them up into the windshield. A deer hitting a front seat occupant can lead to serious injury or worse.

My uncle hit a moose and just barely missed getting killed.

I know folks who sit on their porch to successfully hunt deer.

It would be illegal, but i could put a salt-lick just outside me back fence and sit on the deck with a cross-bow and easily pick them off.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.