BK Electronics driver AD12-300

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I was surfing around and found this cheap and in my eyes quite good looking for a subwoofer.
It probably is used in some of the BK finished subs, and they are often Reviewed good.

Is there anyone on here with more info about thw driver?

I saw on another forum a winisd simulation on 50L ported vs sealed and the ported one looked real good to me and the price is absolutely right for me.

Anyone with any comments about the specs, or so? Comments about anything? In my novice eyes this seems like a much cheaper and higher xmax choice to the XLS lines.

What do you guys say?

Old BK Monolith driver

This is the paraneters:

Sensitivity
87.4dB

Nominal Power Handling
350W

Weight
9.0kg

Range
20Hz to 2500Hz -6dB
Cabinet Volume

Sealed
50 Litres
Ported

100 Litres
Impedance

4 Ohms

Qts 0.37
Re 3.6 Ohms
Vas 103.3 L
Le@1kHz 1.10mH
Mms 150g
Fs 24.6Hz
Cms 0.198 mm/N
Qms 2.76
Sd 514.7 Cu Cms
Qes 0.43
Bl 14.0 T-M
Xmax 15mm

In my novice eyes, with no laptop to simulate boxes with, this drivers seems nuce and abit like a better version of a XLS/XXLS to a better price too. As it is sold by BK electronics, it probably is used in some of their, here in Sweden very well received subwoofers.

I saw a simulation of 50L ported and closed on some other site and the 50L ported looked very well, nice straight response down to about 25-28hz in 50L ported tuned to 23hz.
The box at 50L' sealed seemed quite nice too if the rooms interaction would be incorporated in the simulation.

The drive costs 99£. Quite a bit cheaper than an XXLS and a bit cheaper than an XLS, but with higher xmax.

Is there anyone that has anything to say about this driver? It is speculated with some substance behind that this was the driver in the BK Monolith before they changed to an XXLS driver. Which, in some's opinion was a down shift.

I would gladly recieve help with simulating both a good sealed and a good ported box for this driver. As I can't without a functioning pc, it wouldbe seriously appreciated and cherished.

Anyone that wants to help? Or is it only interested in mybeyes as a possibky better cheaper XLS version?

I hope someone help me out with simulation, thank you all in advance. If nothing seems way of, im probably going to buy this driver and try it out. Hopefully with someone's simulation help.. :)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
This might be of interest:

oldmonolithdrivermodelling-jpg.487571

The drive costs 99£. Quite a bit cheaper than an XXLS and a bit cheaper than an XLS, but with higher xmax.
Is there anyone that has anything to say about this driver? It is speculated with some substance behind that this was the driver in the BK Monolith before they changed to an XXLS driver. Which, in some's opinion was a down shift.
Hi MathiasJK,

How can it be a "down shift" when the AD12-200 lacks stabilization of the inductance during movement, Klippel optimized mechanical parameters and minimal motor loss design, like the XLS range? Those things don't show up in linear model but justifies the price difference, IMO. I'm not saying the AD12-200 is a bad driver but it's not of the same class.

Regards,
Djim

Hi MathiasJK,

In your link there is no reference to a monolith with an x(x)ls driver. Before BK changed to an AD12-300(sb) it was equipped with an Eminence Lab12. Today only the 'Monolith Plus' is available with a Lab12 driver. According to BK the XXLS400 is their highest quality (closed) subwoofer and is equipped with a XXLS12.

Regards,
Djim

Technically speaking inductance linearisation isn't necessary for low frequency performance, although manufacturers do obviously add it to their premium lines of subwoofers.

Realistically speaking the number one parameter for subwoofer performance is how much linear displacement (xmax x surface area) it has. That is if you're wanting to push the sub to it's SPL limits, or EQ as much extension out of the sub as you can get. This includes the suspension elements having the required amount of throw to allow the coil based xmax to actually be useful, something that isn't always the case.

With the XLS/XXLS drivers having 12.5mm of xmax and the AD12, 15mm, the AD is certainly not automatically the loser just because of other assumed parameter differences. The AD12 does, after all, have a coil inductance of 1.1mH, which is unusually low for a sub without linearisation.

I already use XLS drivers for my subwoofers. They are nice drivers but not without their own issues. For example rising second order distortion with my 830452s has the THD spec hitting 10% quite a bit before mechanical xmax is reached, showing non-linearities most likely attributable to the suspension. Adding a second driver in push-pull corrects for this issue, but clearly demonstrates an area where the driver could be improved.

The AD12-300 is built like a tank and has impressive specs, realistically speaking I cannot see anyone being disappointed with it. If the price is right, and it simulates into boxes that work for you, then I'd just go for it.

In a swedish forum with a swedish speaker design program called basta(very very advanced) the xxls and Ad12 simulates extremely alike and AD ofcourse wins in spl because of its higher xmax.

So, buying two AD's for the price, actually a bit less than the price of one xxls makes the choice very easy for me. Extremely easy. Im a newbie, I would not hear difference between them I guess and as they are much cheaper I'll go with them, probavly ported as I listen much electronic music and reggae/dancehall which also is much electronic in it.

I'll buy one first and build a sub with it, if it sounds fine to mee I'll build another one and later a third smaller 8" sub to place high up, I want to try dr geddes idea of mode cancellation.

Thanks for all replys

Anyone's that is interested in helping me finsing out the best vented box, and also closed box for the AD12? It would be much appreciated as I am a newbie. I am a bit of a basshead so a vented box with the best port alignment and fs is most interesting but even sealed are of interest as I'll probably build two of them and musicality and no "one note" bass is important.

Even if im a newbie I still want the best possible sub.

Thanks for all the replys!

Last edited:
Thanks 5th!
It seems a bit like diy audio guys are suspicious of new drivers and go with the proven even if the newcomer has nice parameters and simulates the same, or better. This simulates exactly as the XXLS 12.

Here are the graphs, just scroll down.

I'm am awaiting answer on box sixes, if any of you could simulates best ported and sealed boxes for, as I am newbie and still don't have a pc or laptop so I can't stimulate myself which is sad..

Please help choosing box and alignment for ported and for sealed.

I'll most probably go ported, slot ported as it looks nicer in my eyes. If I use slot, I'll be really careful using soft nice radius curves, no 90 or 45 degree curves in my buildspare..

AD12 are red, XXLS black. Big difference, not really..

faktiskt.se • Visa trad - BK electronics AD12-300 sub, nagonting att ha?

Last edited:
Has anyone got the .wdr file for this driver, to put in Winisd ?

If I try to input the driver from the TS parameter, upon entering the MMS of 150g and CMS of 0.198mm/N, it auto calculates an Fs of 29.2Hz. The Fs is listed as 24.6Hz. This is driving me insane, definitely a mistake somewhere. Such a bargain for a UK obtainable driver.

Any help on above would be appreciated.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.