Counterfeit/Fake vs. Real TDA chip video

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is an excellent video complete with die exposure and actual testing of said TDA chip to illustrate the dangers of not buying your favorite chip at an authentic parts warehouse (i.e. Digi-Key, Mouser, Newark, etc...):

YouTube

Moral? Don’t cheap out. It’s not worth it. And...pcb layout is extraordinarily important.

Best,
Anand.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I am amazed by the examples of fakery. I'm even more amazed that it makes financial sense for the manufacturers of the fake goods, in particular when it comes to faking electronic parts.

Some examples of fake products are just horrid. Like the $1 cell phone chargers that are likely to become fire hazards. Or electrolytic capacitors where the writing on the can says 450 V, but the part actually contains a smaller cap rated for 200 V. Or baby formula tainted with lead or antifreeze.
In case of the amp chip in the video, the damage was minimal. The chip didn't explode. It did turn into a power oscillator which could damage your speakers, though.

There are many amp chips out there. For a new project, why not just design something around a genuine part that's currently in production? The parts are pretty cheap even through the official distribution channels. Mouser, Digikey, Newark/Farnell, RS, Jameco, etc. will happily sell you the parts, even in DIY quantities.

Those plugboards used in the video are known awful and useless for anything that resembles performance circuitry. It's not just the contact resistance that limits performance. The inter-row capacitance is quite large as well (on the order of 100 pF as I recall). That tends to be a pretty severe performance limiting factor. Layout matters. Who knew? :)

Tom

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm wondering if this "2050" might really be a 2020 or 2010, one of the lesser TDAs. Re-marking is cheaper than making.

However there's lots of physical clues that this was a 2nd-rate factory, even if it is some form of TDA.

They are usually cheap and plentiful TDA2030, relabelled 2050.

Notice this one provided same power as a 2030 would, and was damaged by short (surprisingly didn´t explode) , I *guess* because it was subject to 2050 rail voltages; again guess that if subject to proper rail voltage (+/-14V instead of +/-22V) , it might even survive a short.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.