Wharfedale pro opinions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, looking for a cheap but loud and bassy 2nd hand system for house parties etc.
Been offered speakers for £250 as follows:

Wharfedale pro EVP-15SB ST
- 400w continuous
- 800w program

Wharfedale pro EVP-S12 x2
- 150w continuous
- 300w program

3 questions
What do you reckon to this price?
Could they cut the mustard for a medium size room (my guess would be 8x5m or something) with a 1000-1500w power amp?
Bass is important - reggae/jungle/drum n bass etc. - would this 1 sub be enough?

Cheers

You're not gonna get a lot of kit for £250, but that seems like a decent deal. For a room that small, it'll certainly give you some kick, but with a 55Hz tuning frequency on the sub, I think you'll find it lacking compared to systems that go lower.

Chris

You're not gonna get a lot of kit for £250, but that seems like a decent deal. For a room that small, it'll certainly give you some kick, but with a 55Hz tuning frequency on the sub, I think you'll find it lacking compared to systems that go lower.

Chris

Thanks for the reply. Think I'm gunna go for it as it's pretty cheap, can always upgrade parts at a later date.

Excuse my ignorance but what is a tuning frequency?

3 questions
What do you reckon to this price?
All 3 boxes for 250? Sweet.
Could they cut the mustard for a medium size room (my guess would be 8x5m or something)
Should be plenty..

with a 1000-1500w power amp?
Ha sure.. if you want to vaporize the voice coils. You want a small 250w/ch amp for the tops and another 800w mono amp for the sub preferably with some built-in DSP limiting.
Bass is important - reggae/jungle/drum n bass etc. - would this 1 sub be enough?
It should be.. but something tells me it probably won't be.

Last edited:
3 questions
All 3 boxes for 250? Sweet.
Should be plenty..

Ha sure.. if you want to vaporize the voice coils. You want a small 250w/ch amp for the tops and another 800w mono amp for the sub preferably with some built-in DSP limiting.
It should be.. but something tells me it probably won't be.

Nice.

thanks for the advice about the amps - all this stuff about continuous/peak ratings and power and ohms and stuff is very new to me. I want to get the most out of the limited speakers I can afford and read something about amps that are close to the continuous rating are in danger of clipping and burning the coils out
So you'd say mixer into crossover into small amp for tops, big amp for subs?

As for the bass thing I'll give it a go and see, there's room in the budget to go bigger later

If you're buying amps get some with DSP built in like the Behringer iNuke DSP, that will take care of crossovers and limiting. You can burn up a speaker with any size amp... you just do it faster with a bigger amp unless there is some way to control output. If you want a reliable system that can tolerate some abuse limiters are not optional.

If you're buying amps get some with DSP built in like the Behringer iNuke DSP, that will take care of crossovers and limiting. You can burn up a speaker with any size amp... you just do it faster with a bigger amp unless there is some way to control output. If you want a reliable system that can tolerate some abuse limiters are not optional.

Ok cheers. Getting the speakers today and have ordered an inuke 1000 dsp for the sub. Any particular recommendations for an inexpensive 2x250 for the tops?

Also, do I need a crosssover before the amps or is there some other way of wiring it? I know the Behringer has its own crossover but would the high pass signal then go from that to the other amp?

Ok cheers. Getting the speakers today and have ordered an inuke 1000 dsp for the sub.
Is the sub 8 or 4 ohms?

Any particular recommendations for an inexpensive 2x250 for the tops?
A single Inuke 4-6000 would have done the trick for the whole system, tops on channels 1 and 2 and the sub on 3&4 bridged, only problem is there is no DSP which leaves the system a bit exposed. A second solution is to get another 1000DSP for the mains, with this the system is a bit underpowered but not terribly.
Also, do I need a crosssover before the amps or is there some other way of wiring it? I know the Behringer has its own crossover but would the high pass signal then go from that to the other amp?
Everything you need is built in.

Last edited:
Is the sub 8 or 4 ohms?

4, but it's dual voice coil so says 2x4 ohms??

A single Inuke 4-6000 would have done the trick for the whole system, tops on channels 1 and 2 and the sub on 3&4 bridged. Everything you need is built in.

Ah ok, never mind. How would I wire it with 2 amps though, splitting the input between the amps?

4, but it's dual voice coil so says 2x4 ohms?
Oh never saw that coming.. that is unusual in the pro audio market. In that case forget bridged mono and just run the amp in stereo.

How would I wire it with 2 amps though, splitting the input between the amps?
Most pro amp have input and thru connectors on them but apparently Behringer didn't include those so you just need a couple Y cables to split the signals to both amps.

UPDATE

Just after getting these, I won an auction on eBay for the same 2 tops but two lix-c15sb subs instead - 1200w program each - for £165!

Bought an NU4-6000 so thinking of hooking up the tops to 2 channels (does 440w at 8 ohms so will have to be very careful with it) and the other 2 to the subs - 860w at 4 ohms each which sits to the lower end in-between continuous and program?

Alternatively I thought I could run them in parallel with 2 of the channels bridged - but it only gives ratings for 4 and 8 ohms bridged (though it can do 2 separately), does this mean that this is not an option?

Planning to sell the other 2 tops and the EVP sub, though some tiny voice in the back of my head keeps whispering "super-rig......:yikes:"

That particular sub is dual-coil, so you can run a stereo amplifier into it, and it has highpass outs for a pair of tops that'll be stereo.

Quite a neat little setup, but not great if you want to scale upwards.

Chris

What power amp would I want for this if the stereo sub is 800w 4 ohm (2x400 and 2x4 ohm) then goes out to 300w 8 ohm each ? would be useful to have a second system as I'm planning to rent them out

So you now have 4 tops and 4 subs?
First thing is don't mix different types of subs.
Next, 4 speakers in parallel is a 2ohm load so no you can't bridge the amp into that, and besides it won't deliver any more power than 2 channels at 4 ohms.

Nah I was joking that'd be overkill! Ok I thought that would be the case. I think I get it now: 1 channel per speaker (2 tops 2 subs) with the built in amp crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.