Urine Smell: How to get rid of it on elecronics?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am sure that a few here have found audio equipment in a simular condition. Please bare with me as I tell you of my new found gem and my problem.

I am sure that a few here have found audio equipment in a simular condition.

By a stroke of luck while driving around late last night I saw at the curb, waiting for the garbage man, a 1960s(?) Hammond Organ.

It weighed a lot more than I can weight lift but I got it into the trunk of my car, Jerry Lewis style.

Missing were speakers and it had a busted line out jack. Other than that it appears to work okay.

Got it home and left it outside (too heavy to lift up the stairs). Inspected it with my flash light. Everything, electronics, spring reverb, amplifyer, looks clean and in good shape but oviously this had been in a garge or shed for a number of years.

The spaces above the innerworkings of the keyboards is filled with the stuff of mice nesting and there is a strong scent of urine.

My project for this summer is going to be to dismantle the organ electronics and keys out of the wood body and get it to fit into a smaller, and lighter DIY enclosure. All new knobs and more. Easy.

However, how do I get rid of the urine smell?

I am leaving it outside for a few days. I will remove and shop vac out the essential innards and store the electronics in the shed until warmer weather.

Everything on this unit is analog so I doubt that I can damage it much with lightly cleaning with ammonia and a sponge.

However, how would you do it?

Thanks in advance for reading this offbeat topic. :)

:D

Attachments

• peeing-section.jpg
    peeing-section.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 456
Hello Darren01

Looks like there are two areas here, one is the electronics and the other the wood.

For the electronics, you can clean the pcb's by using some flux remover or pcb cleaner. It should be quite easy to remove the smell.

My guess is that most of the smell comes from the urine being absorbed into the wood. You can try applying some "Timbrene" (wood preserver) after airing and drying the wood. You may have to do this a few times to remove the smell. After that, seal the wood with some shellac.

Regards

Reminds me of a story:

A few years a ago a had the privilege of being asked to record a friend interviewing song writing legend, Sammy Kahn.

Everyone was a little nervous when Mr. Kahn entered the studio. A large cigar in his mouth he b-lined for the piano without acknowledging the producers greetings.

After pounding out a few bars, Mr. Kahn took the cigar from his mouth took a step towards the producer, “Ask me if the piano needs to be tuned”

The producer on the edge of spastic begins to stammer.

Again, Mr. Kahn, “I said, Ask me if the piano needs to be tuned!”

This time Tim starts to catch on, “Does the piano need to be tuned?”

Mr. Kahn, “No! It needs to be burned!”… “”Common kid lets do the interview”

Mr. Kahn entertained us for the next 90 minutes with stories from his career as a song writer as it intertwined with the George and Ira Gershwin and how he came to write songs for politician campaigns. Mr. Kahn passed away less than a year latter. Too bad I didn’t make better recordings that day.

thoriated said:
Hi, Darren1 -

Probably an enzyme product meant to take out pet odors would be helpful here. When the worst of the odor is removed, then seal and varnish or paint whatever it is to seal the remainder in.

Pyew!

I second this recommendation. I had to get rid of cat urine smell from a carpet and this stuff worked great. All I had to do was spray it on and leave it for two weeks and presto. I dont remember the name of the product but go to a pet store and describe what your looking for and they probably can tell you where to get it.

Good luck

Sorry, guys.

After much serious thought I decided to ultimately put the organ out on the curb.

I phoned a friend to come over and help move it and 4:30-ish in the morn somebody else loaded it up in the trunk and took it home with them, Jerry Lewis style.

Perhaps they will find a better use with it than I.

It was just too big and heavy of an instrument for me to deal with but what a very worthy project would it have been.

Perhaps next time.

A big "Thanks" goes out to all who offered their advise (except for the guy who suggested I **** in the organ to get rid of the urine smell).

Darren
(So long and farewell.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.