Derek' s AMP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Derek : are you happy your TU-8600?

flags_1

Last edited:
Tu-8600 build

Hi
I have been lurking around these forms for a while but this is my first post. Lots of great info here!
This is my forth elekit build and I just wanted to share a bit about my experience so far. The amp sounds great! I have been busy with work so I had only about 10 hours of listening time but I can say certain types of music like piano in particular sound outstanding! I expect that it will even get better as time goes on. I also have a tu-8340 with the lundahl transformers and definitely noticed a break in period. I would not have believed that a transformer can break in, but I sure did hear it...
I am really not a good reviewer so all I will say regarding the sound is that I agree with everything said in the "wall of sound" review so far. It's worth a read if you want more on the sound.
As far as the build goes I am blown away with the quality and precision of all the elekit amps but this one is even better. The tolerances and quality are nearly mil-spec! High quality parts, very heavy duty circuit boards and precision built case. This was my favourite build so far. When you fit the covers on at the end, the screw holes line up with such precision that the screw fits dead center of the hole...not one mm out of tolerance. Really excellent quality. The only small struggle was fitting one of the upgraded lundahl transformers. The hole threaded into the transformer was perhaps one mm out so I had to back off the other three to start the forth one. Not a big deal. And considering the transformer was built by a different company on a different continent, it is understandable.
Also I am surprised at how few components are in this amp. It is obviously a thoughtful design that strips it down to the basics. If it doesn't need to be there...it's not.
It's a keeper for sure.
Cheers
Deek

Joel's comment...

Hi Victor

I usually don't write you after completing an amp from you, but this one sounds so good even before burn in that I had to let you know it is really impressive.

.......... much improved over TU8200 in the bass and mids. Highs are the best I've heard among the amps you sell.

The little PCL86 amp had good mids and the TU8600 blows that away too.

Kudos to you for making this possible and to Fujita-san and Lundahl for the components quality that should be the way all DIY kits are done

The chassis could be a little more solid like the SV1628 but that never gets in the way of the music and keeps it light and easy to move.

The tubes that worked well for me are PX300b, RCA clear top 12au7 and GE 12AX7 long plates. The mullard long plate 12ax7 is better in the mids but highs roll off quicker so better for brighter speakers. I'll be trying More 12AU7s next but it responds more to 12AX7 changes so far. JJ 300B gave deeper weightier bass but gives up treble and mid-treble smoothness.

For the coupling caps, the mundorf EVOs were ok but I used some Russian K04Y that really sweetened it up.

Hope that helps other customers roll tubes to taste

Thanks
Joel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.