• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Bouncing Ground

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I just scoped several sections of my PS. I can measure about 11mV AC at the last cap of my power supply, but this value fluctuates up and down considderably. My fluke measures between 7 and 15 mV, and every so often jumps to about 20mV.

When I use the scope, it seems that the ground is bouncing up and down, for lack of a better way to describe what I see.

The PS is hybrid tube rectifier-LCLC- feeding tube voltage regulator.

At the VR tube, I measure a steady 4.4mVAC on the Fluke, and on the scope it is flat/steady.

Any thoughts?

Bryan

I'd say that's normal power line (AC mains) fluctuation. Power supplied to our homes is not steady either in amplitude or frequency. The reason it's steady at the VR tube is because of it's regulation. It's especially apparent if you use direct coupling vs AC coupling at the vertical input on your scope.

Hope this helps.

Wayne

11mV, pffbt, just ignore it.

What does the pffbt mean here, I haven't come across this one yet...

Nope, no phone here.

I was thinking that the fluctuation may be from the mains. I guess it is nothing to worry about.

Next observation.... From the VR tube, I have 4.5mV into the Pimm BBMCCCS. On the outpu of the CCS, I have 4.8mV. Is this normal?

Thanks,

Bryan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.