New guy needs help with Sansui SP-200 speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just inherited two beautiful Sansui SP-200 speakers. I don't know when they were played last. Both were still connected to a Pioneer Amp, turntable, and 25 disc cd player when I picked them up, so they must have been working at one point. Both cabinets are like new, inside is clean and intact, crossover shows no burned caps, broken wires, coils look new, everything is correct. Problem is the 2-5" squakers and 2-horn tweeters seem to be working but the 12" woofer is not. This is the problem with both speakers which seems odd to me that both would have the very same problem. I've read several articles about people re-capping the crossovers and cleaning. But since all caps look like new, no burn or leakage, and all connections look good I hesitate doing this. What type of cleaning agent would you guys recommend to clean the switch contacts? I've tried both speakers on two other receivers and the same condition exists. Are these speakers worth the trouble or should I just thrash them? They just look to good to be bad.

qILE2BYsylJiDhQ844DCxC9Z4xS8qbqDiMA5lQTKsfHVyiNzhpS4MsCUUtUUe3ylsdUIQwgWkDw5gHiERgZcLbT0CSPNDKshPyKZ48WIWQA2qbhIuIGpDYAIoI6RSHOUZ0QBQQh46NCgDJufBU+m1MAzhtakJVVIgKnlYxgiLICQ0Yo50bxghCabdFDIAGeUc0scM3iz1CVbvHLNF0XAIIklSEAUEAA7

Joined 2011
Problem is the 2-5" squakers and 2-horn tweeters seem to be working
but the 12" woofer is not. This is the problem with both speakers

If you have no meter, connect a D cell briefly across the speaker system terminals.
There will be a click as it's connected, and the woofer should move either out or in
enough to clearly see. If not, there's an open circuit, either in both voice coils or the
crossovers. Odd that it's in both speakers, and makes it more likely the woofers are blown.

Last edited:
OP said only the woofers aren't working. You need to understand if it is something in the crossover (bad contact or something else) or a blown driver. To check that you have to connect the woofer directly to the amp, meaning that you need to get the woofer out of the box and connect it straight to the amp. Then if it makes sound the crossover is bad, if it doesn't the woofer is bad.

Ralf

Just inherited two beautiful Sansui SP-200 speakers. I don't know when they were played last. Are these speakers worth the trouble or should I just thrash them? They just look to good to be bad.
These are charming speakers that are complicated. If this is your first restoration attempt, caution is in order.

The wiring may be brittle from age.

As others have indicated, you'll need to isolate the woofers from the other components for testing - that implies removal from the box.

https://youtu.be/jUtaPR7xVCg

Last edited:
A year before I joined DIYaudio international, I had a pair of Kenwood KL-777
(two in a row) tweeters & midrange blown on one box.
I still have a pair of them, a 16 Ω midrange and a 16 Ω tweeter. The 15"s are OK.
The boxes, however, are dismantled.
Now, you would not want dual midranges and dual tweeters.

Let's hope the woofers work. Here's a good tip for old rubber-roll surround basses. A layer of silicone grease loosens them up and protects them.

623906d1499013033-new-guy-needs-help-sansui-sp-200-speakers-sansui-sp-200.jpg

Now the silicone aerosol isn't the best thing to do this with directly, because they also contain a solvent or propellant like trichloroethane or butane, which might dissolve glue. So spray the grease onto a tissue, and let the solvent evaporate in a well-aired room, since these things tend to be unhealthy to breathe.

Now rub the tissue onto the surround. Comes up shiny and nice and black, like those valeting car sprays for plastic surfaces. This does not apply to impregnated corrugated cloth-surround mids or basses, which just seemingly go on forever. Originally cloth-surrounds were made with a toluene based lacquer, but this is considered cancerous these days. Old lead solder used in old speakers has a similarly dubious reputation in the modern day.

I find surgical spirit on a tissue rather good to polish up old cabinets. Lifts off the dirt too.

Attachments

• Monitor_Audio_Silicone_Grease.jpg
    Monitor_Audio_Silicone_Grease.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.