Suggestion for PHY-HP KM30 enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I just brought a pair of Phy KM30 drivers and in the process of selecting the right enclosure for them. The open baffle design in Phy website is too big (1.7mx1.7m) for my room. Does anyone has any suggestion for a smaller floorstanding design similar to Auris 2 ?

Any suggestion would be appreciated.:Popworm:

Thanks.
To my understanding, the Auris 2 is basically a folded wing open baffle design with a back opening. According to the KM30's designer, the KM30 has problems in other cabinet designs (including the Auris 2) and is best in open baffle. Due to the high Qt of the speaker, the bass might be too much if in a vented box . But I recalled that I once saw a thread that someone has combined a TL with open baffle design for the KM30 and he said it sounded wonderful..... I am interested to find out more.
:bigeyes:

I have a pair of the PHY-HP LB21 speakers.

When you look at the T/S specs of these drivers (and of the KM30) it can drive you really crazy. According to the specs it's almost impossible to calculate a good enclosure for them. Qts is rather high, so is FS and Vas is huge. I have tried a 120 liter enclosure for them, but no real bass is coming out, unless you are happy with a big speaker that has a roll off starting at 60 Hz.

After that I have tried a TL enclosure, wich was also very big but stated to roll of at 65 Hz, less bass then with the closed box.

I also tried a very small enclosure of 22 liter (Fc=100Hz Qc=1.1) in order to use it with a subwoofer but the Phy doesn't like to be in such a small enclosure, it sounds very constrained and narrow, putting them on a baffle really opened things up. Much more air, dynamics, detail, etc etc.

After much experiements I have found the LB21 best sounding on a small baffle and use it as a midrange driver, that works pretty well for me. I cross them at 150Hz and 3kHz!!!! Yes it sounds better that way.

I have no experience with the KM30 but maybe this is usefull to you. They are rather strange speakers, you will have to forget about traditional speaker designing with them to get the best out of them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.