Matching 12 inch woofer with 4 inch mid

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Should I have gone with a bigger mid range speaker to match with the woofer, i'm not liking the way its sounding around the 400hz range.

Using minidsp to set crossovers

Dayton Audio DS315-8 12 - 30hz to 200hz 12/db
Peerless by Tymphany NE123W - 400hz to 3000k 12/dx
Dayton Audio RS28A-4 - 4000k 12/db

freqency response curve, Tymphany

Should I have gone with a bigger mid range speaker to match with the woofer, i'm not liking the way its sounding around the 400hz range.Using minidsp to set crossovers:
Dayton Audio DS315-8 12 - 30hz to 200hz 12/db
Peerless by Tymphany NE123W - 400hz to 3000k 12/dx
Dayton Audio RS28A-4 - 4000k 12/db

Hi there a: Looked up the frequency response curve published by Tymphany, available at Parts Express, Part Number 264-1128, and nothing jumps out as out of bounds at that frequency. Since the NE-123w will reach 200hz reasonably flat to 250hz, maybe try adjusting crossover for 6db slope from 400hz down on the mid range and the Dayton woofer slope 12db down from about 300+-. An overlap sometimes helps smooth response. ...regards, Michael

Hi there a: Looked up the frequency response curve published by Tymphany, available at Parts Express, Part Number 264-1128, and nothing jumps out as out of bounds at that frequency. Since the NE-123w will reach 200hz reasonably flat to 250hz, maybe try adjusting crossover for 6db slope from 400hz down on the mid range and the Dayton woofer slope 12db down from about 300+-. An overlap sometimes helps smooth response. ...regards, Michael

I agree. My guess, and only a guess was that the OP is experiencing a dip between the woofer and mid given his crossover frequencies. Likely one between the mid and tweet too.

I suggest a small investment in a microphone and make some measurements. There could be many things going on considering he didnt give much in the way of any EQ or system description, enclosure details, what he perceives he's missing, etc, etc, etc.

-Wes

Have you taken baffle step into account?
The geometry of your box (I'm assuming its not OB) can have a profound affect.
Also, what are your SPL goals? if they are modest, 400 Hz may be too high a crossover point.
I agree with the other posters. You will never know until you measure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.