Algorithms for music: real-time parameter modification

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everybody,

I don't know how many people use rack fx these days, and how many dig into them to catch new sounds, but I would like to share with you what I obtained as complex waveforms to control parameters on my fx units.

Basically, as you probably know, rack fxs have the possibility to assign some parameters to CC midi signals, or voltage on specific inlets, or volume pedals and so on. Lexicons (at least my lexicons) limit them to 5 per each unit.

On Mesa Boogie Triaxis you can assign any of the stored values (gain, mid, lows, highs, volume, etc...) to an external information, in order to change it while playing.

Same can be applied to the parameters of all rack fxs compatible with CC signals.
Some of them are just a 1 bit signals (0-63 and 64-127), some have full dynamic on the 128 values.

You can then change in real time the shape of the chorus, the decay of a reverb, the pan, etc...

After being in contact with Professor John Chowning of the Stanford University, the inventor of the FM modulation on the synths to emulate the real sound of the instruments, I came out with some algorythms to change in real time the parameters of my rack fxs.

Here below you can find the code.

I've done it in matlab to speed-up the plots, but I've intentionally used the same commands that can be used in Arduino, that is the platform I'll use to send commands to the fxs.

Code:
% #1 funzione per Chorus con AM ed FM
fc = 0.29; % Carrier Freq (Hz)
fm = 0.085; % Modulating Signal Freq (Hz)
m = 9; % Modulation Index
t = linspace(0, 10, 2^14); % Number of samples
y = -0.45*sin(2*pi*fc*t*0.96) + 0.45*cos(2*pi*fc*t - (m*sin(2*pi*fm*t))) + 0.1*cos(2*pi*fc*t*2.8);
subplot (3,2,1), plot(t,y);

% #2 funzione per panning
fc = 0.69; % Carrier Freq (Hz)
fm = 0.23; % Modulating Signal Freq (Hz)
y = - 0.5*sin(2*pi*fc*t - (m*cos(2*pi*fm*t*0.618))) + 0.5*cos(2*pi*fc*t*2.8 + (m*sin(2*pi*fm*t*0.618)));
subplot (3,2,2), plot(t,y);

% #3 funzione per psycho-flanger
m = 1; % Modulation Index
y = - 0.5*sin(2*pi*fc*t - (m*cos(2*pi*fm*t*1.32))) -0.5 + abs(cos(2*pi*fc*t*1.32 + (m*sin(2*pi*fm*t*0.618))));
subplot (3,2,3), plot(t,y);

% #4 funzione per dimensione riverbero
m = 19; % Modulation Index
p = 0; %numero del plot
y = - 0.6*sin(2*pi*fc*t - (m*cos(2*pi*fm*t*1.32))) + 0.4*cos(2*pi*fc*t*3 - (m*sin(2*pi*fm*t*1.32)));
subplot (3,2,4), plot(t,y);

% #5 funzione per chorus lento
fc = 0.069; % Carrier Freq (Hz)
fm = 0.023; % Modulating Signal Freq (Hz)
m = 19; % Modulation Index
y = - abs(sin(2*pi*fc*t - (m*cos(2*pi*fm*t*1.32)))) + abs(cos(2*pi*fc*t*3 - (m*sin(2*pi*fm*t*1.32))));
subplot (3,2,5), plot(t,y);

% #6 funzione per chorus lento
fc = 1.29; % Carrier Freq (Hz)
fm = 0.385; % Modulating Signal Freq (Hz)
m = 18; % Modulation Index
t = linspace(0, 20, 2^14); % Number of samples
y = cos(2*pi*fc*t - (m*sin(2*pi*fm*t*0.26))) ;
subplot (3,2,6), plot(t,y);

Has anyone done something similar to his rack?

The Matlab code I've developed to see the effect of each parameter in 25 different plots is the following:

Code:
% Plot funzioni con AM ed FM
fc = 1.29; % Carrier Freq (Hz)
fm = 0.385; % Modulating Signal Freq (Hz)
p = 0; %numero del plot
for fi = 0.1:0.04:1.06;
p = p+1;
t = linspace(0, 20, 2^14); % Number of samples
y = cos(2*pi*fc*t - (m*sin(2*pi*fm*t*fi))) + 0.1*cos(2*pi*fc*t*2.8);
subplot(5,5,p), plot(t,y);
end

To switch from the [-1,+1] range of the plots to the [0,127] midi range, you can use the map function in Arduino: https://www.arduino.cc/en/reference/map

The basic code is really simple.
I modulate the frequency of a sine or cosine wave by varying the value of the radiants during the time:
Code:
y = cos(2*pi*fc*t - (m*sin(2*pi*fm*t*0.26)))

This can be splitted in:
Code:
y = cos(2*pi*fc*t)
That is nothing else than a simple cosine wave of the carrier frequency fc.

Then I modulate the radiants of the funcion, so I change the speed of the radiants, so the frequency.
Code:
 - (m*sin(2*pi*fm*t*0.26))
It's a frequency modulation of the carrier frequency fc at the modulation frequency fm.
The amount of modulation is set by the parameter m.

This is the very basic one, then you can do whatever you want:
- square waves by adding nth order harmonics at the amplitude 1/n;
- absolute values of the sinewaves;
- odd roots of the sine waves;
- triangular waves;
- sawtooth waves;
- etc...

For example, do you want to do an AM modulation of a FM modulated sine?

Code:
y = cos(2*pi*am*t) * cos(2*pi*fc*t - (m*sin(2*pi*fm*t))) ;

Where:
- am is the amplitude modulating frequency;
- fm is the frequency modulation frequency.

Do you want to modulate only from 0 to 50% of the total swing?
Code:
y = 0.5*cos(2*pi*am*t) * cos(2*pi*fc*t - (m*sin(2*pi*fm*t)))

Otherwise you can use the map function in Arduino and change the destination range to 32-96 omitting the 0.5.

Best way, is to keep the full range on the midi and reduce the range when assigning the midi cc to the effect parameter. This way you do not reduce the resolution in the transmission of the parameter while obtaining the same result.

Thanks bob, I'm still developing the code, and to bypass some limits of the Arduino (or mines, it depends from which side you see the issue. Basically I've to speedup the calculations in order to be always on time for the midi through.

I've got some hints, I'll apply them and will update the thread here.

Room size of reverbs, as well as chorus/flanger shapes, eq parameters in the delay loop, predelays of the choruses, etc...

The next step is to implement a pair of digital 10k pots to simulate a control pedal.
That's for the morphing effect of my Lexicon Vortex, that cannot receive CC.

Not exactly Osvaldo.

My goal is a real-time parameter modification of the multi-fx units.
Just to explain you better: Lexicon MPX G2 Manual
Go to pag. 57 (chapter 4):
Patching is the ability to assign a control (Source) to a parameter (Destination). This allows you to alter the value of the parameter by manipulating the control.

Instead of loading an effect, or better an algorithm of an effect and use it as is, I want to continuously change the parameters of the algorithm in order to obtain more complex sounds.

Usually these parameters are patched to a control pedal or some basic LFOs, or Envelope, etc...
This is quite limitating, because most of the time you can choose between sine or triangulat waves. My goal is to generate some complex functions (including frequency and amplitude modulation), scale them down to the midi range (0-127) and transmit these information as control change.

On the fx unit I'll patch the CCs sent by the Arduino to some specific parameters, and this way the effects will continuously modify, creating unexpected sounds.

Then the 10k digital pot will add some more "randomness" by controlling the morphing of the Lexicon Vortex, that cannot read CC data.

To see if I understand (I like and enjoy music but I don't know anything about music, notes,pentagrams, etc.). Then You want to do an algorithm to modify music while playing?

The thread made me remember creating sounds in the legendary Commodore 64: attack, decay, sustain, etc., with its "Peeks" and Pokes"... I never understand nothing :)

I started programming a C16 when I was 5 or 6 yo.
It was a totally unexpected Christmas gift, I remember that I looked at my father and asked: "mmm.... nice... what's that for?" :)

Then I read the manual and I made my first loop function that made the background black, and black, and black again. :D

Well, I don't modify the pitch of the note that I'm playing, but I modify the parameters of the effects. To make it simple: I can change the volume of what I'm playing, I can change the quantity of reverb, the bass, the treble, etc... down to more subtle parameters like the ones I've written above.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.