Finishing MDF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I am building a pair of bookshelf speakers using 18mm MDF. The drivers are both black in colour.
How can I finish the boxes. I have some wood stain (oak yellow) and polyurethane wood finish lying around. Another problem is that I do not have a sander.
Will paint look good? If so, what kind of paint should I use.

MDF finishing

You have many options to create a nice looking speaker box.
You will need a sander or atleast sandpaper, you could always borrow a sander or hire one from a hardware store....
You can buy veneer in sheets to cover the box, get it vinyl wrapped (expensive) or paint it. Paint is the cheapest but needs the most work for it to look good. Sand the MDF well and fill all holes. You could 2-pak it, this looks cool or you could stain it a wood colour but you will see where the joints are....
Tell me how you go.

I will send you the pics. I am using Indian made Peerless drivers. I have no idea how they will gel as a speaker system. Only after I have completed the boxes, fitted the drivers and done all the other stuff can I say something about the sound.
Do you like Formula One racing? My favourite is Michael Schumacher. Motorsport is getting really big in India nowadays.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.