• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Component Kit for Ultra Fast Diode Bridge.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Right, I tought I would set this up in a new thread, as the old one for the PCB order is getting rather bussy now.

I have been having a look about at putting together bits for a comonent kit for this project now and I ahve come to a point where I need peoples oppinions on what to do.

Basicaly, I can get together the heatsinks, capacitors and resistors needed for one rectifier PCB for £4.50 (as long as there is enough intrest to hit the price breaks at 100+ unit quantities, so that would be 25 kits). This would include:

four heatsinks (around 9degc/w, at 50.8mm in length)

four 100nF, 250V metalised polypropylene X2 Capacitors

four 100 ohm 0.6W, 1% metal film resistors

Obviousley, I will still be including all of the terminal lugs with the boards, so this would provide everyting but the diodes. Which leads me on to my main point of concern; basical these diodes are quite expensive unless we want to buy a lot of them all at once (if there was enough intrest to get up to 25 kits worth of diodes - 100 of them - this would bring the price down to about £1.50 each, or £6.00 per kit).

Now, what I would like to know from people is who would be intrested in the kits without the diodes (for £4.50 each), and who would be intrested in kits with the diodes (about £10.50 each). If people would state their intrest here, allong with how many of each (or either) they would be intrested in it can give me some idea as to wether or not this would be feasable to organise.

Hi,

I ordered boards from you but at these prices I would like component kits as well!
Depending on the current spec of the diodes I would be in for either 2 complete and 4 kits without diodes or 6 complete kits.
I would like to use these in my Pass Aleph 5 clones and my gainclone. Current spec for the gainclones is not so critical I guess. But for the Aleph's I need about 20Amps, are the diodes up to this?

Regards,

Jarno.

Hi, sorry about that, I did forget to mention which diodes I was supposed to be going for. The ones I had looked at getting are the ST microelectronics BYW99W-200 dual fast recovery diodes in a TO-247 package which I believe are the same type as used in all current PASS power amps (so they should be fine for an Aleph 5).

The only minor problem that I can envisage with this group buy is that there are large lead times on the haetsinks for this kit. I have come up with two possible sources so far, but they are slightly different sinks, and at different prices (but hopefully I should be able to get the majority at the lower price, so it won't effect the overall kit price, but I guess I will just have to deal with that as it comes).

Also, SineEra, whilst the resistors are not quite 0.1% dale's, they are good quality 1% 0.6W metal film types from TruOhm and should be more than good enough for what they do. same goes with the caps, which are also good quality items (with the added benifit of being X2 rated, so they are strong enough to sit on a live 240V mains line without being damaged).

What sort of money order? I think there is an american express 'shop' not too far from here and I'm not too sure what services they offer so it may be possible, but it will most likely be at least a few more days 'till I know if there is enough intrest to go ahead with the order (probably for the kit with diodes if the replies so far are anything to go by) so you don't need to be in too much of a hurry for now.

leadbelly said:

You might also look at Western Union BidPay if there is a large enough request for alternate payment means. Their fees are higher than PayPal, but it's the buyer that gets dinged for the extra cost, not the seller.

I've never seen the value in Bidpay. Basically you pay a huge fee in order to have someone else cut a money order and mail it for you. How is this any better than me mailing a money order myself, other than the e-mail notification? We'll work something out, if the group buy comes together.

pkpickard said:

I've never seen the value in Bidpay. Basically you pay a huge fee in order to have someone else cut a money order and mail it for you. How is this any better than me mailing a money order myself, other than the e-mail notification? We'll work something out, if the group buy comes together.

Do not take this as an endorsement of BidPay, I don't like it. But having priced it out a while back, I know that if you need to get a money order somewhere fast, it is about the same cost and more convenient than buying a money order and paying for express mail too.

bigparsnip said:
The only minor problem that I can envisage with this group buy is that there are large lead times on the haetsinks for this kit.

I can offer my help on this one. What about ordering the heatsinks directly from Fischer?
Here are the prices from their catalogue for the SK 104/50,8/STC (incl. VAT):

€ 1,06 each (100 off)
€ 0,94 each (250 off)

On the original Wiki, members (including me) asked for 47 component kits, which counts for 188 heatsinks.
250 should not be impossible to reach. Anyway, the next price break is at 500 sinks at € 0,80 each. ;)

A good friend of mine who lives close to their factory can pick the order up and send it to Andrew for € 16,50.

Tomorrow, I'll phone Fischer and ask for THEIR lead time...

SineEra: I haven't modeled this at all, as first off, I wasn't sure if there would be a consitent way of getting a good idea of what the output of this would look like (I was asuming, I would have to build a few with diferent component values, and go see if teh nice people in the electronics lab would let me play for an hour or two). However, looking at existing designs, the basic combination of 100 ohms and 100nF, seems very popular (so far a eneral start point it can't be too bad). Although, if you are realy intrested in what effect the values will have on the sound I don't think I can sujest anything better than trying few and listening (as the measurements don't always seem to confirm what we measure).

Michi124:

I'm assuming there will be some sort of tax that needs to be added to this price, but if it isn't too much, these may still be good enough to compare to the supplier I have found, and if the lead times are subatantialy better it may definately worth looking into further (feel free to get in touch by e-mail if there is anything you would like to ask about this).

Fischer

Andrew,

the direct Fischer prices include VAT, and it's a about a tenner delivery. If we ordered from the UK, delivery would be ablout the same, but the prices I emailed you exclude VAT.

Could be the way to go..........?

Also, TruOhm do a 0.1% part (Rapid Electronics) 100R 0.4W at 25 pence each plus VAT.

Cheers

Jon :)

Jon, as I mentioned in my post above, when it comes to the snubbing network, the 100 ohm, 100nF components would just be an educated guess at what values would work best here for a range of applications. Therefore, I really don't think it would be worth the extra to use the hige precision resistors in this place, as the don't have to be exactly 100 ohms to work.

However what may be better for me to do here is to offer three smaller kits instad of the one main one so that people only need to take the bits they want. I guess that would be like below:

Kit 1: Capacitors And Resistors
£1.00

Kit 2: Heatsinks
£4.00 (this will depend on where the heatsinks come from and how many we get, but should be a little less, hopefully about £3.50)

Kit 3: Diodes
£6.00 (again this will need a minimum order of around 100 diodes to get to this price, but that shouldn't be too difficult)

(all parts would still be the same as listed above, with possible slight variations in the heatsink which shouoldn't effect it's performance at all)

Ok, I have just received four of the hatsinks I linked to in the first post today, to check to see if they fit ok and I ahve found one sligt issue with this particular model. The spacing on the rear of the heatsink is not quite the same as the SK104 part, and as such the large 7.5, or 100mm pitch caps won't fit in properly, oly 5mm pitch ones.

So, it does look like I will have to try and get a hold of the hetsinks from somwhere other than rapid for the kits, which means the price for the four heatsinks may be a little more than I mentioned above (but should still be around £4.00, just might not get down to £3.50 any more).

No, to populate one full rectifier (with snubbers, diodes and heatsinks) you would need one each of kits 1 2 and 3, which would give you the four diodes, four heatsinks, four caps and four resistors (as well as the mounting bolts for conecting the diodes to the heatsink which I guess I should include as well). So it would be about £11 ish for all of the components on the board, and the extra 16 heatsinks would be another four of kit 2 (about £16.00?).

Hope this make s things a little clearer now.

Andrew

Hello BP, this heatsink would be perfect for your boards I beleive. The are available from Digikey US for $1.50 US ea single piece, quantity discounts apply. If you buy 100 price drops to $0.87 US, that is only $0.47 pounds!!!!!!!

Is that a deal or what!!!! So a set of four would be less than $2 pounds, and how much could it cost to ship a small package from North America to the UK via Air Mail?

You may even be able to get Digikey UK to bring them in for you. I suppose you could find someone in North America to buy them for you and ship them over.

I have attached the PDF for you to certify they will work.

Regards

Anthony

Attachments

• 513201b02500.zip
    79.5 KB · Views: 141
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.