diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/index.php)
-   PC Based (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/)
-   -   Want to build a music server (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/285718-build-music-server.html)

Herb S 22nd January 2016 12:50 PM

Want to build a music server

I'm finally thinking of doing my own music server to hold about 500 CD's and 50 LP's. There is a lot on this forum lately about Rasp Pi but what about the Intel NUC. Is it worth the added expense? Do you get a "more professional solution" that is a completed unit with less fidgeting in addition to better sound? Feedback and advice deeply appeciated so I can begin a project.

Doug Kim 22nd January 2016 01:06 PM

I am also very interested in this subject. I have 500 GB of lossless music in my portable HDD, but sticking it into some sort of computer is very inconvenient. It will be great if a music server or streamer can be used.

Herb S 22nd January 2016 01:15 PM

Doug, I assume you built up your HDD using a desktop or laptop. Are you concerned about the data quality. I read so much about tweeks to Windows to eliminate background tasks and power supply noise that it seems a bad idea to create a "master" music file this way. Am I on target here or way off the mark?

Jerms 22nd January 2016 01:44 PM

I went for the Cubietruck in a box approach. Acts as a NAS and has miniDLNA installed, so can serve to my RasPi and my Chromecast audio.

In short it's Cubietruck plus case, plus 5.4AH back battery plus 120GB SSD... All in the case.

For an OS, look at "Igor's" distributions.

Herb S 22nd January 2016 04:06 PM

Jerms, I did not know about Cubietruck, I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the input

kevinkr 22nd January 2016 04:22 PM

This might be of interest: Computer Audiophile - C.A.P.S.

Note that there are commercial versions of some of the CAPS music servers.

Another thing to check out is vortexbox: Forums - VortexBox user forum

Herb S 22nd January 2016 04:58 PM

I am familiar with CAPS, Vortex box is new to me, I'll look into it. In both cases the last inputs I see are over a year old. I wonder why I see so little activity. Is it no one is interested anymore? All recent activity seems to be around Rasp Pi

randytsuch 22nd January 2016 09:53 PM

Pi's are cheap, and relatively easy to setup. I think that's the appeal.

IMHO, it depends what you are trying to accomplish.

At some point, I connected a Pi via I2S to my DAC, and it sounded pretty good, actually very good. I powered the PI with a USB battery to get better sound.

But, I have a highly tweaked PC that sounds better (my opinion, take it for what you will) The PC is dedicated to audio playback only. It is connected via an Amanero USB to I2S converter to my DAC. PC is powered by a combination of linear PS and LIFEPO4 batteries, with a modded USB card.
All the music I listen to is on one SSD, and the OS is on another. So, I don't need a NAS.

The PC route was a LOT more work and money.

No idea about an intel nuc, never tried it.

Herb S 22nd January 2016 11:31 PM

Well I guess you answered my question. Seems like the tweeking was a lot of time and effort. I t seems that you also had to do a lot of legwork to get the firmware running. I'll have to spend some more time looking over you blog. Thank you, this is the kind of info I was looking for.

jplesset 22nd January 2016 11:44 PM

Do you have an old laptop or desktop PC lying around? That's where I started.

Install Ubuntu Linux.
Install MPD (That's Music Player Daemon)
we can help with the setup.
control it from a phone, tablet or ...

I've been using this for years. Just bought an Orange Pi Plus to replace it. Total cost around $80 for the Orange Pi, power supply, case, cables. Add a 1 Tb laptop drive, and it's all I need.