S/PDIF over long distances

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
People, please. Think! before you write your post. Absolutely nobody uses a repeater for a computer network of only 50-70 feet. A category 5 cable installation has horizontal runs up to 295 feet and operates at 100MHz. A category 6 installation tops 250MHz at the same distance. And this is all with UTP.

With a 75Ω coax installation, 50' should be no problem. If it doesn't work, try a heavier cable with less attenuation. If it still doesn't work, you might want to fiddle with the input circuit on the DAC. If all else fails you could build your own Rx & Tx modules and use whatever cable is appropriate.

I now return you to your normal disinformation.

jwb said:
People, please. Think! before you write your post. Absolutely nobody uses a repeater for a computer network of only 50-70 feet. A category 5 cable installation has horizontal runs up to 295 feet and operates at 100MHz. A category 6 installation tops 250MHz at the same distance. And this is all with UTP.

I wasn't talking about a copper connection. I know the distances of an UTP. I was talking in general if the cable run gets too long. If have no idea how long a toslink or coax may be in a hifi installation. So if a cable gets too long they use a repeater that is what I was refering to.

and please share the reasons why toslink is inferior to coax.

and please share the reasons why toslink is inferior to coax

For one thing, there's two additional devices that have a high potential for added jitter (refering to the extra buffers/drivers within the toslink receivers and transmitters)

For another thing, the toslink cable standard sucks. The plastic used for this is about the lowest grade possible for optical transmissions. Slight bends cause all sorts of stress on the plastic that act as reflectors which then induce jitter or noise.

For another thing, the actual connectors are incredibly loose and prone to damaging the surface of the fiber at the jack... which again causes signal degredation or noise.

The various options for 75ohm coax are so plentiful in terms of very good cables, that that alone outweighs using a POS toslink.

The noise levels that are emitted from a coax cable running an SP-DIF are so ridiculously low, that there's no point in mentioning transmissions onto other cables (assuming you have a descent coax cable)

With a pseudo-good driver, coax can run long lengths without a problem if using a good quality, low loss cable.

I'm sure there are more items on the table, but I need to run off...

For another thing, the toslink cable standard sucks. The plastic used for this is about the lowest grade possible for optical transmissions. Slight bends cause all sorts of stress on the plastic that act as reflectors which then induce jitter or noise.

Hi, i do not think that this is necessarily true. Here is a link where I have measured jitter in 60m long fibre bundle consisting of around 95 (IIRC) 20cm diameter turns. Results are not significantly worse than in previous measurement with short fibre. I think that it is the receiver and transmitter part that is the weakest link in POF communication. After all, 200MHz POF links are available, and I think that 2GHz communication over POF has been demonstrated.

Best regards,

Jaka Racman

I've runned coax networks(10mbit) up to 200m(meters) without any repeater/signal amplifier. Directly switch to switch. No problem whatsoever but many were saying previously it won't work. I just decided to give it a try, and that was the right thing to do. BTW, it was the cheapest coax cable I could find :D
So give it a try... then let us know

SpaBlauw said:

and please share the reasons why toslink is inferior to coax.

good question - I just built a DDDAC1543 with both inputs and am able to go A/B between a custom built coax cable and a highly regarded glass toslink cable. On the DAC I use a TORX179 receiver for the toslink, while on the CDP it is whatever came with the Cambridge Audio D500.

Both connections are vastly better sounding than the analog outs on the tweaked D500, but there are some slight differences between the coax and the toslink. Overall the toslink sounds like there is more empty space between instruments. It is very minor, but going A/B while listening it always feels like the coax connection is just a little warmer and "fuller bodied" sounding.

Why? probably because the toslink starts where coax starts, is then converted to optical, then converted back to coax - there's just no way the conversion can be better than never converting it and sending it across a well designed coax cable and connectors. However, I would not dismiss the toslink as "inferior" if well done. It sounds extremely good on my system. Some people probably wouldn't be able to tell it apart from the coax in a blind test.

Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.