Convert Krell 300iL to European voltage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I've never opened an amplifier before in my life but am always game for toying with a few electronics. However I really do not want to blow my Krell 300iL amp and was wondering if anyone out there could advise me on how to convert this amp from 110 to 230V (basically American to UK voltage). Is it easy? Or should I pay up the £150 my "friendly" dealer is charging? Help!!
Any info is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Brian.

Its my guess that the traffo is made specifically for the krell so may not have dual primaries. However if it does, then usually for 110 voltage areas the primaries are wired in parallel and in 240 voltage areas in series. So if the amp is spec'd for a 110 area, if you locate the primaries and they are in parallel then wiring them up in series should sort it. However, this is an expensive piece of kit and not worth destroying just by simply plugging the unit into 240 thinking you have sorted it.

If you are going to try this then get another transformer and step down the 240 to something like 20 volts then connect the amp to that as it is, ie wired for 110. Then measure the voltage off one of the secondaries. Wire the traffo for 240, ie in series, then connect it again to the 20v transformer and see if the voltage halves, if it does then you are OK. BUT please make sure that there is no other circuitary connected to the mains input appart from the main transformer otherwise you could blow other bits too.

Disclamer
If you do try this and it fails you cant hold me responsible:D

Matt

150 pounds is waaay too much. It has an 800VA transformer, so a new toroid transformer would cost considerably less than that. You might want to tell the dealer that :) Looks like he's charging 100 pounds for the work and 50 for parts... Then again, it depends if the amp was new, how much the amp 'retailed' for and if you want it done fast or you can wait. Is it covered by warranty (is the 'dealer' authorized?). If not you can tell him to kiss 150 pounds goodbye.

Take a read here, it will bring you up to date with amplifier supplies:

transformers: http://sound.westhost.com/xfmr.htm

power supplies: http://sound.westhost.com/power-supplies.htm

Then again, if you haven't tinkered with these before you might ruin it so you must pay the bills :) Also, this is an integrated amp and it might have separate trafos for pre and final stages...

A quick&ugly&cheap sollution would be to buy a 1kVA rated 240-110 converter/transformer and feed the Krell through it, in order not to ruin the warranty. Make sure that you don't put the trafo asswards though :)

The BEST sollution would be getting a service manual and check for this issue in there.

brianboru said:
ho ho ho - unfortunately our physics teacher at school wasn't too hot and that went way over my head :eek:!! I was hoping it was case of flicking a few switches! many thanks for your help though...

I have a Krell KST 100 and the change of voltage from 110 to 230volts AC...is done flicking two switches!!
Have you open the case for trying to see if there are this switches?
In mine they are black and red!!

PS: The change must be done with amp disconnected!!:att'n:

many thanks for the additional helpful comments. the amp is totally brand new - i bought it in america from a dealer who helpfully ships to the UK but doesn't do the voltage conversion. As the dollar is so weak I thought now was the time to treat myself..

I haven't opened up the box yet - i'm waiting for another dealer to get back to me with a quote. I don't want to mess with it quite yet but if I get more absurd quotes from dealers then it will be time to delve in and blow some expensive gear! I'm hoping that it will be a case of flicking a few switches as in Jorge's amp - we shall see.

Krell AGAIN!

Hi guys,

Krell does it again! I have a friend that had the same problem.
He was afraid that he would blow the whole amp if he did it himself.
Well It's verry simple in almost all KRELL's you have two switches.
Both have a text on it. 120 -in the first possition 240 in the other possition or 1 - 2 . So if it is set to 1 it'll work on 120 volts in possition 2 it'll work in 240 volts.
DON'T FORGET TO PUT BOTH SWITCHES TO THE SAME VALUE!

That's It! If it's with wires or jumpers (I don't think so) than look for a SERVICE MANUAL!

All the best and please let us know if you succeed!

Best regards,

Audiofanatic ;)

Hello everyone,

Well I just got round to opening it up and there are 3 switches inside... each labeled SW1, SW2 and SW3. They are set at 2,1,2 respectively which at the mo is US voltage (60hz, 120V). I've emailed Krell and asked them for the appropiate combo - I doubt they will send them to me but worth a try. Also, do I want 220V or 240V for UK??
Thanks,
Brian.

One further point...

I just phoned up Absolute Sounds again and asked them for the combination. They told me that it now costs £550 ~ $1000 to do the conversion because there is a microprocessor running at 60hz in there that needs to be converted to 50hz. This sounds to me like absolute codswallop. I think their business must be getting hurt from people importing from the US on the back of the weak dollar.

I just hope Krell email the combo....!

I microprocessor that runs at mains frequency :rolleyes: wow that must have some computing power!!!

What an absolute scam, they could have at least come up with a decent excuse why they need to rip you off for that amount. If they know that much about electronics then 1) I wouldn't trust them to do ANY fiddling inside any kit of mine and 2) just goes to show yet again how supposed hifi experts use tech-speak to confuse people into buying stuff and make exaggerated unsubstantiated claims.

Even if there is a micro in there (which there probably isn't), it will have it's own timebase and not be anything to do with the mains frequency.

yeah thats what I figured...

I phoned up Krell and told them this and he said he was unable to comment about Absolute Sounds voltage conversion procedure - suffice to say that I had to go with them if I wanted the conversion. He said he couldn't reveal the combination to me either because that was priviledged information!! Why are they having such major issues in revealing the combinations?? They have got their money for the amp - I still have the receipt!! What more do they want :bawling:

Re: Krell AGAIN!

Audiofanatic said:
Hi guys,

Krell does it again! I have a friend that had the same problem.
He was afraid that he would blow the whole amp if he did it himself.
Well It's verry simple in almost all KRELL's you have two switches.
Both have a text on it. 120 -in the first possition 240 in the other possition or 1 - 2 . So if it is set to 1 it'll work on 120 volts in possition 2 it'll work in 240 volts.
DON'T FORGET TO PUT BOTH SWITCHES TO THE SAME VALUE!

That's It! If it's with wires or jumpers (I don't think so) than look for a SERVICE MANUAL!

All the best and please let us know if you succeed!

Best regards,

Audiofanatic ;)

Hi Audiofanatic,
A servicemanual for a Krill? You must be kidding. Krill isn't that food for wails? Pearls for the swines, throwing to the wolves.....
:smash:

just my 10p's worth :

A bit of elementary tracing should sort out how the
voltage switches work and what each one is for.

240V over 220V if given the choice always.

The only other possible issues I can think of is that :

The conversion changes the mains input socket ?

Any filtering on the mains input ? needs to be changed for
240V, as the components will have the wrong ratings.

Probably the above two are the same thing, as a
filter if fitted is part of the mains input socket.

Mains input fuse needs to be derated for 240V ?

:) sreten.

Hi Sreten,

Thanks for your help. I have no idea how electronics work but I am happy to work around with them. I'm going to get myself a voltmeter and I'm going to get this baby to work just to spite Absolute Sounds. I would have been happy to pay the £150 at one stage but £550 is just offensive!!

You can see a photo here: www.theoneills.org.uk You can see at the bottom right the three red switches. The one on the far left is SW3 (set at 2), SW2 is set at 1, and SW1 (far right) set at 2. I have seen a photo of a Swedish machine set at SW3=1, SW2=1 and SW1=2. Apparently Swedish voltages vary between 120V and 230V depending where in Sweden you are... this model was in Stockholm. I'm therefore deducting from this that SW3 determines the frequency and that 1=50hz. I'm also assuming that this Swedish machine is operating at 120V since SW1 and SW2 are same as American setting....correct me if I'm wrong!

This means that there are only three different combos left - one of them will ruin my machine (i.e. will set voltage to 100V) , the other two will be ok (i.e. 220V and 240V). These combos are (SW1 + SW2): 1+1 ; 1+2 ; 2 + 2. What do you reckon chaps? Which one is lucky??? How would I go about determining which one was right with a voltmeter (and i'd need noob lanaguage and terminology :D ).

Once more, thanks for any help that you can give me. It is much appreciated!!

What you could do is measure the resistance across the live and neutral connections of the mains input socket. Then if you suspect SW1 and/or SW2 change the voltage (which they may do given other replies) set these to what you think for 240v and then see if the resistance you measure on the mains socket has quadrupled.

This method may be slightly flawed if there is a mains input filter as it may contribute sdome resistance as well, but it's a start.

I can't believe how rubbish Krell are being over this. Obviously trying to keep their dealers sweet.

the wiring to the transformer suggests it has two primaries
both with 10% taps for 110/120 and 220/240.

Which suggests your amp is set for 110, and the
swedish amplifier is set for 120, or the other way round.

Either way 50 / 60Hz is not part of the equation.

Using a volmeter set on resistance the 10% switch will change
resistance readings by a minor amount (~10%), however the
correct setting will give x 4 the present reading across the input,
once you have this set the other switch to the higher reading.

The only input components I can see are a transient suppressor
and a capacitor, both I assume are rated to 240V.

:) sreten.

brianboru said:
Hi Sreten,

You can see a photo here: www.theoneills.org.uk You can see at the bottom right the three red switches. The one on the far left is SW3 (set at 2), SW2 is set at 1, and SW1 (far right) set at 2. I have seen a photo of a Swedish machine set at SW3=1, SW2=1 and SW1=2. Apparently Swedish voltages vary between 120V and 230V depending where in Sweden you are... this model was in Stockholm. I'm therefore deducting from this that SW3 determines the frequency and that 1=50hz. I'm also assuming that this Swedish machine is operating at 120V since SW1 and SW2 are same as American setting....correct me if I'm wrong!

Once more, thanks for any help that you can give me. It is much appreciated!!

Edited based on Streten's observations. I missed the blue white wires even though the logic is the same...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.