Best for midrange x-over: Jantzen Wax Coils vs. Solen Hepta-litz?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

Has anyone directly compared the Jantzen Wax Coil inductors versus Solen Hepta-Litz inductors in a midrange crossover, and if so, what did you hear and what did you prefer/use, ultimately?

A quick search revealed no threads here in DIYAudio archives that answer this question directly, although a few hinted at it, but no one ever chimed in with any direct comparisons or knowledge.

I have had problems with a slightly rolled-off/closed-in and slightly aggressive upper midrange/lower treble ever since I rebuilt my Cabasse Baltic II speaker crossovers using 12 and 14 gauge Erse inductors four years ago. (Got the inductors from Michael Percy at a great price, though.) Never thought it was the Erse inductors being the problem, but.........

Ric Schultz at tweakaudio.com HIGHLY recommends the 16 and 12 gauge Jantzen Wax Coil inductors for tweeter/midrange x-overs as being sweet and musical, yet supremely extended, open and airy, and strongly recommends AGAINST Erse foils in tweeter/midrange applications as being harsh, forward, and closed-in/rolled off sounding (which is EXACTLY what happened to my sound after I replaced the stock iron core inductors with Erses, even with proper impedance matching using a set of CAST Duelund resistors for matching DCR.)

But I have read others who insist that the Solen Hepta-Litz is the most musical, most satisfying inductor to be used for x-over mods, especially in view of their lower price.

I have already replaced the Erse inductors in my tweeter x-over with Jantzen Wax Coils (only one per channel was needed, so I decided to splurge), and that was a wipe-out: the Jantzens were MUCH more extended, open and airy than the Erses, AND a little lower treble edge was nicely eliminated by the Jantzen WCs as well. A very worthwhile upgrade, no doubt. And not too expensive. But then I read about others claiming the Solen Hepta-Litz was even more natural sounding than the Jantzens, and at MUCH lower prices.

Cost comparison? To do my midrange x-overs in Jantzen Wax Coils it costs me US$180 for the six inductors values I need (3 per channel) from HiFi Collective, versus US$69 for those same six inductors using Solen Hepta-Litz from Parts Connexion. BIG difference there, for sure (and BTW, the DCR of the Solens is pretty close to the original iron cores, so that is also nice. The Jantzen is not so close a match, and may require a resistor for DCR optimization.)

So, which inductor will it be? Jantzen or Solen?

(Of course, I am always open to any other suggestions regarding the best inductors for midrange x-overs as well...... ) ;-)

Many, many thanks in advance for any and all help, advice, and guidance offered.

Cheers!

Winston Smith

Hmmmm... Frankly my friend.. that reads like a sermon from Someone who has an "agenda".
I first bought and used Foil Coils in early 90's and yes they do work.. in some cases.
But are they Better than a Decent E coil OR Air coil of the same/similar resistance?? No :)
I've Replaced a Half Pound Foil Coil (one of My earlier upgrades :rolleyes:) with an OEM Tiny high resistance Laminated core coil... for Marked Audible improvements. Bit of an Epiphany there.
Just because Sales types claim something.. it Does Not mean that you have to accept it as Gospel (or even assume it's close to accurate)
Don't be forgetting that Foils ultimately Corrode... Wax goop be damned .
But No-One mentions that! in their Brochure babbles.. Do they?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.