Stroker Folded horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Actually, doesn't model too bad. With 7200cm^2 mouth, 200cm^2 throat and 350cm path length response good to 40Hz with corner loading (1/8 space).

Expect a box about 2ft wide, 4ft high and about 3 to 4ft deep (depending on folding) - not sure if your room could stand this size. Any smaller and you start compromising the response.

Cheers

Attachments

• cv_s15.jpg
    cv_s15.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 534
Hey Centauri, wouldnt educating a newb on AIM for a little while would you? BHG41088. Oh, and anyone else who can help, im all open for it. Oh, and my horn can be pretty good size, my room is in the basement, so Its 28x11 feet. The horn cant exceed 7 or 8 feet tall though.

mikee12345 said:

exactly! huge mouth :)

and ONLY 40hz!

This is not huge by Pro sound standards - fairly common size, and about 1/8 of the theoretical optimum (hence the smooth response when corner loaded). If you go smaller than this, then passband ripple becomes too large.

How much lower would you want to go? There is virtually no information on recorded material below 40Hz anyway - only harmonics of anything that low. There is an advantage in lower response in live audio, as some instruments can get that low.

Cheers

I DO miss those lows when using my 40hz basshorn instead of my 2226 33hz tuned....so aim for 33hz ish response with my horn.

For most 40hz will do though.

If you go smaller than this, then passband ripple becomes too large.

i can cope with 'some' rippleas my room will stuff it up more anyway.

it just depends how much compromise u must take,for my tiny horns i have to take alot.

:)

Mike,

It will be very interesting when you get your 30Hz horn built, as to whether you feel it is still missing something compared to the JBL. The BR box will generate more distortion down that low, and due to our ear's response, we probably hear more of the distortion products than the fundamental itself. The horn should have lower distortion and may not sound "right" as we have been conditioned to accept bass distortion as being normal.

Happy sawing!

Cheers

its interesting isnt it - what is better -may or may not sound better.

Using a quality piece like the lab12 ,gives me nightmares just looking at it!

I know a guy who designed a ruler flat system using horns- and he finds it tiresome and yuck sound-i think thats funny,i think it was on ART

so-
' you must learn to like a flat response! ' haha

or - make your response 'incorrect' so ur happy...

hehe!;)

Attachments

• lab_03.jpg
    lab_03.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 283
Mike,

Been reading a few good threads at liveaudio board, and other places, regarding people being so used to hearing low bass distortion that when they hear REAL bass, they think it sounds unnatural....

Personally, I don't really like the lab12 as its fs is too low. Even 1/8 space with the lab horn has serious response ripple - it actually models quite well in a 15Hz horn (with appropriate sizes)!

In the next few months will be experimenting with 12" 18Sound drivers - look good and flat to 35Hz and Xmax reasonable (not as good as lab though - if they just made the lab12 with lighter cone for Fs of 40Hz, it may have been perfect!)

Cheers

I know the Fs is low,but my modelings with 1900cm mouths supports 33hz,sorta. My room is so wild in response i dont care about +-2db....

And it 'seems' to support the low end with less mouth than the higher fs more 'pro' drivers...

I had my eye on this one-
link
look familiar? its the paudio 'lets clone jbl ' series of woofers :p

i can get it for AU $ 330 ,similar to shiva price,and less than LAB12

Cheers!
Mike.e

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.