First GC design. Any thoughts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is my first attempt at a NIGC. Before I order the parts I wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts on the design.

I am alittle worried on my choice of a 10K attenuator and the 22.1k input resistor. I don't know the output impedance of my CD player (only source) which is an older mid-fi Denon.

Would it be a good idea to put in a 4.7uFd input cap or atleast order one and then see?

I want to keep the design down to as few components as possible and then listen and tweak. Thanks

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

DC Dave said:
Here is my first attempt at a NIGC. Before I order the parts I wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts on the design.

I am alittle worried on my choice of a 10K attenuator and the 22.1k input resistor. I don't know the output impedance of my CD player (only source) which is an older mid-fi Denon.

Would it be a good idea to put in a 4.7uFd input cap or atleast order one and then see?

I want to keep the design down to as few components as possible and then listen and tweak. Thanks

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

First get a larger value pot. 47-100K. If no Input cap configuration you'll need a resistor (220-500) in ser to +in of the amp. I'd also try configuration without feedback cap. and if you want try it with an input cap also (if you don't have DC on the source output).

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=309471#post309471

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=298794#post298794

Thanks for all your input. I modified the design a bit, and I am going with a 20k pot and a 244ohm resistor in series with the input. I am also going to try with and without the feedback cap and also check for DC on input to see if I need the input cap

Attachments

• daves gc schematic with volume.jpg
    daves gc schematic with volume.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 320
DC Dave said:
Thanks for all your input. I modified the design a bit, and I am going with a 20k pot and a 244ohm resistor in series with the input. I am also going to try with and without the feedback cap and also check for DC on input to see if I need the input cap

I would connect a res. to gnd from the slider of the pot in case the pot is not extremely good quality. If the slider of the pot doesn't make a very good connection all the time you may see a lot of spikes on the output especially if you don't use the feedback cap (the DC gain will be more than 20). God forbid the pot at one point decides not to conduct to gnd. You'll see a lot of DC on the output and the speakers wont like it at all.
Do it like this (and keep the feedback cap if you want):
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=309473#post309473
The res (R3 in the sch in the link) can be anywhere from 22k to 47k, but keep in mind that the amp input impedance at max volume will be around 10k-15k depending on the value of R3(the sch in the link).

C1 in your sch will make the output DC ouffset les dependant on the position of the pot. but it might deteriorate the sound quality. You decide on C1. By the way if you decide to leave it in use atleast 100uF and higher. I'd use 220uF.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.