Connoiseur BD1/BD2 belt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'm on a quest for some belts for these puppies... maybe someone in the UK knows of a hole-in-the-wall store that has some of these stashed away.

dave

Attachments

• coniseur-grace-triangle.jpg
    coniseur-grace-triangle.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 576
Before you buy a belt, try making one with cotton or silk thread. Make a loop small enough that it puts a little tension on the motor pulley. You may be surprised at how effective it is -- the suspension of the motor is sufficient to maintain tension, and having only one compliant part rather than two actually may improve the sound. The knot in the threat shouldn't be a problem unless there is something dramaticaly different about the pulley than the usual pulley. If memory serves the old belt was a feeble thing anyway -- spliced and not particularly well spliced.

bd1 belts

Hi Dave

Great deck you've made there. Nice to see another Connie still turning. Top platter looks cool - is it acrylic?

Technical and General are a light in the darkness for obsolete Turntable fans here in the UK, but these bits are certainly getting expensive.

Echo Nat's thoughts on thread belt - fwiw I started with dental floss but my patience ran out with the motor suspension jumping around - ymmv (I was using the rubber bands).

I particularly like the way your unit is self contained, handy for moving it around, so this may not suit your plans but -

I took the motor off board - in a bean can filled with shot - helps to set tension spot on.

Not perfect yet, but hey thats where the fun is. Now where's the sewing basket?

Regards

Colin

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: bd1 belts

bornin50 said:
Great deck you've made there. Nice to see another Connie still turning. Top platter looks cool - is it acrylic?

The top is just black aborite/formica. This was built out of bits i had lying around. A sandwhich of differeing thicknesses of HDF & plywood. The metal BD-1 faceplate was jigsawed to the appropriate shape (with the motor hanging outboard) screwed down and the laminate glued on top. Feet are from a Rega.

Technical and General are a light in the darkness for obsolete Turntable fans here in the UK, but these bits are certainly getting expensive.

They promptly replied to my email... they have belts for about half the price of the other source i found....

dave

Re: bd1 belts

bornin50 said:
Hi Dave

Top platter looks cool - is it acrylic?

Colin

Looks similar to my Disk-SE 2.2 rubber mat to me (2.2 lbs = 1 Kg)

Hardish rubber, better than felt and and an acrylic mat I made,
on the glass platter of of my modified SystemDek IIX.

(the acrylic mat was made out of 3 layers of acrylic, with a
label cutout in the top layer, sprayed with black car paint)

:) sreten

I have a Connoisseur BD1 / 2 so am interested in this thread & what progress you've made on this turntable

My deck has been dormant for a while & I need to set it up again

At moment I have slight rumble coming through & reckon its to do with the motor suspension
Anyone have any advice on setting up & overhauling this turntable ?

Thanks

Connie BD1

Hi all,

Interested, I just fired up my Connie BD1 after 17 years non use - and she was vintage before then. SME 3009 fixed head and a Glanz cartridge. The belt looked useless but actually works fine. The motor would like to run backwards, but if you tap it on the pulley it goes in the right direction!

Forgot what non CD sounds like!

If anyone has any tips - let me know.

Pics on request.

Kit connected: Tandberg TR2075 (1986) LNB Para Lab Monitors (1971), JVC XL555 CD (1987), Tandberg XD10 (1977).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.