A couple question regarding speaker design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
1. If I were to off set a tweeter is there a certain distance I should off set and is it affected by the crossover Frequency ?

2.If a single driver in a t-line speaker had two lines instead of one would those lines be half the normal length of one line or would they both be the same length as one line ?

Attachments

• tlinediagramgj.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 103
1. If I were to off set a tweeter is there a certain distance I should off set and is it affected by the crossover Frequency ?

That's a deep and hairy question. A tweeter will, in general, have a diiferent "zero delay plane" (i.e., the place from which, ignoring lags from rolloffs, the sound can be considered to emanate) than a woofer. And the offset of their relative zero delay planes will differ from driver to driver. Oh, yes, and as I mentioned parenthetically, there's delay because of driver and crossover rolloffs, too. And different crossover orders have differing sensitivities to driver offset. And other crossovers can be designed with differences in zero delay planes accounted for...

All of this is why we use speaker CAD programs these days! In any event, the relative offset between your tweeter and woofer can be measured, or if you don't want to do that, may be obtainable from the company you bought them from. With those numbers in hand and some speaker design software, you can play around with the crossovers, stepped versus flat baffles, and their interactions to your heart's content- before you start cutting wood and winding coils.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.