Threshold SA10/e & FET-9

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am the original owner of a pair of Threshold SA 10/e mono blocks, and FET-9 pre-amp with upgraded 'e' power supply. I purchased these new from Summit Audio in Kingston Pa. They are now with me in the Minneapolis/St Paul area, where I've been for the last 20 some years. I am interested in knowing what type of maintenance I should be performing to these components. I have never had a problem with them, and they seem to perform as well as they ever have. What is unusual about them is the rather low amount of hours they have on them. Between my work schedule, and time they spent in their boxes during the move to MN, I'll bet they have less than 60 hours per year on them. I make it a point to run them at least 10 hours four times a year to keep the electrolytics formed. Yes, I do get to listen to them, but I'd rather use this 'big' system only when I can spend the time doing so, and not turn it off and on for short durations.

Please advise me what I can do to keep these components going for a few more decades. These are still my 'pride and joy'. My skill level is that I am able to rebuild tube type equipment. I've done Collins 51J-4 type sets, and am currently rebuilding from 'kit' form, a Heathkit W5M amp.

Thanks in advance!

Frank.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
when you start to hear some buzz , then it's already late ... performance were already deteriorated for some time

big ones - in PSU , are under heaviest load ; common logic is - replace them all

size (as long as they can fit in position they're not too big) , value and voltage are regular parameters for choosing right replacement

brand - too many to name them , but when it's time - look for regular industrial quality brands ; it would help if we know where you are situated ( missing info in your profile ) so I can't choose between mostly EU or mostly US market brands to name them

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.