• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Has anybody built the Matthew Reidsma Experimental 45?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
:D pretty obvious if you look at the o/p tube and it's availability / price and the o/p power that can be excpected from one which if my memory serves me right is miniscule even back in the days of sound practices they were a right rare tube to get even used the price was pretty substantial [ if you could find one!] cheers TC:devilr:

:D well if you can find some used 45's at a reasonable price, it is a very simple circuit and using the hammond 125 e op xfrm it may be a nice and simple amp to build BUT I would use the hammond 125 se as being a better choice and by all accounts performs quite well in 2a3 se circuits. cheers TC:devilr:

Re: can this be scaled up?

Konnichiwa,

AudioGeek said:
what is the possibility of it being scaled up to say a 300B circuit using parallel VR tubes in the cathode?

Not directly, but by combining a VR Valve AND something like a KT88 you can make a "power shunt regulator that keeps the voltage on the KT88 Anode quite constant. Then apply a choke with an apropriate series resistorto load the driver and bias the output valve, voila, done. But a resistor/capacitor parallel combo in the output cathode will do not really any worse, if the capcitor is high quality or perhaps WE/UP connection is employed.

Sayonara

Surely it is a bit dangerous to run the 45 tube with this direct coupled configuration.

I would prefer running it with the RC coupled and it is almost fail safe.

I believe the VR might cause some more noise and distortion in comparison with cathode resistor with bypassed capacitor. Just a guess.

Johnny

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.