• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Terminal Strips: Thumbs Up Or Down?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My original SSE build was without them figuring eliminating a connector was a good thing. I also didn't quite trust the little screw-downs.

Now that I have removed the wires from the board for the move to the new chassis and ruined more than one eyelet, I'm re-thinking. I like to tinker.

It's also a PITA to get tinned 18ga. into the smallish eyelets.

Opinions?

The terminals make it all a bit too fiddly for me: while the principle is very good (you can easily reconfigure the amp), the time taken just to get two wires to stay put in the terminal holes while I screw them in tight is just too much. And it doesn't really work well, until the terminal casing itself gives way...

The holes should be wider.

The turrets seems a good idea.

The original TSE board does not use the terminal strips. Many a board has been ruined by a user soldering or unsoldering a transformer wire. Response to the terminal strips has been favorable and I use them in all my projects to make things easier to build and take apart.

There have been no issues, with one exception. I would not use them in the final build of a guitar amp that will spend most of its life sitting on top of the speaker cabinet, especially if it is a bass guitar amp. The constant vibration will cause the screws to loosen over the years.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.