Secondary Voltage Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does the secondary voltage have a major influence on sound quality on the LM1875 and LM3875? I'm using 18V now and I'm curious about 15V. My speakers are highish impedance, however (average of around 12 ohms). Searching this forum and the internet in general hasn't helped much

the less the supply voltage, the less the output voltage can be of the chipamp.
less voltage you got on the output, the less it takes to get clipping.
driving a high impedance requires higher output voltage, and therefore higher supply voltage.
so i would say going down to 15 volts from 18 is not a good idea.

the less the supply voltage, the less the output voltage can be of the chipamp.
less voltage you got on the output, the less it takes to get clipping.
driving a high impedance requires higher output voltage, and therefore higher supply voltage.
so i would say going down to 15 volts from 18 is not a good idea.

That was my thought. I've read a few comments about lower supply voltages sounding "softer" (which is something I'm always looking for) but those statements are generally qualified by stating speakers impedances more in the 4-8 ohm range

Agree.
You will have a little less available power, nothing too important acoustically, hard to notice unless you drive your system into clipping such as home DJ on a Saturday night party, but on normal Music enjoying, no big deal.

And no, it won't go "softer" or "harder".
It's a very transparent amp, will faithfully reproduce whatever you throw at it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.