Looking for some expert speaker builder wisdom!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone on diy audio! I am about to embark on my first speaker build and am feeling a little confused on a couple points. I have been reading forum after forum and searching articles and am not finding a specific answer (though perhaps it is out there somewhere in the deep reaches of the internet).

My design goal is a portable (as in the amp is integrated into the box) and HI-FI as is possible STEREO (as in a set of 2 way drivers in the same box) speaker. I have yet to find ANY designs like this. All of the ones I see are either a single 2 way, 3 way or 4 way, and don't look that good. I will be using it in an indoor setting. I do understand that to get true stereo imagining it would probably negate the portability factor, but I want the left and right channels represented anyway.

I have researched and purchased the drivers which are the HIVI M5N midwoofer(x2) and the HIVI K1(x2) tweeter. My questions are

1.) Hivi recommends a ported 10 L. box for the mid, should that volume increase with the presence of another mid or should there just be a bigger (or another) port?

2.) Can I use the manufactures specs to develop my cross over? (I do not have the ability to measure my specific speakers, though I am near Madisound, they were not helpful in this matter either) There are also these m5n/m5a specs others have measured, at the bottom of this thread. Anyone measured T/S values for HiVi M6a?

3.) Do I need a zobel network, the crossover and an attenuating network all together? I have been reading that I need to smooth out the impedence, lower the sensitivity of the tweeter and have my cross over point. Any clarification here would be most helpful.

4.)should I place my drivers vertically aligned or have the tweeters of to the side?

I plan on using MDF and will be beveling the edges, the size of the box will be determine by the answer to question 1. I am looking for direction and help, I understand some the limitations of the idea that I am going for and will accept constructive criticism. All I have are the drivers and an Idea right now. Thank you in advance!

Ben

p.s. I apologize for the long windedness.

Thanks DUG, Just got done going through them. The boominator looks interesting but does not answer my questions, just gives me a design. I know I am not the first to want to so this, so I do appreciate the question there. I had not searched for that (kept putting in portable stereo speakers, not much luck, boombox just seemed so crude and opposed to what i have in my head.)

Essentially the image in my head is that of a nice looking 2 way x 2 bookshelf speaker that will be moved easily around a house (so not for outside.) Think Bose (blech) soundwave, but way better. In looking through all those posts I did answer question number 4, so thank you for pointing me in that direction. It is easy to become tunnel visioned with so much info melding into your brain as you comb the internet. still looking for the answers to the other questions. A link to any info on the question specific would be great too.

I think ur better off with using luggage/pro-audio closures (as in the ones that hold the lid to the case) to hold two speakers either together either to each other, or else to a center box holding the amp. Or else some other combination of what is three boxes, two speakers and one amp.

Now you can carry the unit, and spread the speakers, angle them, etc.

the design is another issue... a bunch has to do with how much bass you want,
how heavy this thing is, and how large, and of course how loud you want it to play.

_-_-

I have the box roughly built (pic included), now I am struggling on the crossover end of it. I do not have measuring devices available to me.

I read a good sticky on here about crossover design without measurement. My thought is to get a rough crossover(values worked out) on mh-audio, and make just one and see how it sounds and then go from there. The zobel circuit seems straight forward for the woofer and I am going to omit it for now from the tweeter. As far as attenuating the tweeter, still working that out.

Attachments

• speaker box.jpg
    speaker box.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 106
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.