Subwoofer distortion problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i have recently purchased a 500w rms 4ohm zeuz subwoofer for djing purposes. I am currently powering it off a 300w rms per channel @ 4ohm amp. The speaker distorts at low volume levels so if i were to purchase a 500wpc @ 4ohm amp would it make a big difference in sound quality, power and distortion levels?

cheers
Lordy

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
lordy said:
The lower limit is 25hz and the higher is 145hz
Does that mean that the box is tuned to have an f3 of 25Hz and you're using an active x-over at 145Hz (which as Guss indicates is a bit too high)? I thinking that there's something wrong with the x-over and the signal is not getting to the speaker. You should have plenty of SPL from a 300Watt amp. Another 2db or 3db of amp power isn't going to fix this problem.

Well Zeuz is very simular to Bumper in specs,looks and materials used, and both of these ain't that good quality.Also i don't know what amp your using but 4ohms clips more easily than 8 ohms,and pushing a lot of low bass content though a cheapy speaker especially at 25 hz can damage the voice coil by overheating and or over excersion.
25hz amplified by the amp makes a lot of heat,possibly causing the amp to clip prematurely and into 4 0hm it produces even more heat.
Or if the amp isn't clipping u got a defective driver caused by a manufacting defect in speaker when made.

:dodgy:

lordy said:
Ive tried that b4 it didnt make a diff, could i have damaged my amp when my last speaker broke ?

This is a strong possibility. My brother had an AR sub lock up on him, and before he could do anything about it, something in the amp went too, causing the new driver to sound blown as well. The distortion the amp was creating sounded exactly like the voice coil scraping on the pole piece. :eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.