Looking to build my first amp, adding push-pull to 386 need advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been messing with electronics and non-audio circuitry for ~15 years, but I've never built an amplifier that lasted longer than 30 seconds. I want to try something I found on the internet with a couple modifications, but I don't want to burn out my components. I've used the 386 as a headphone amp many times, but every time I've tried to add a transistor to the output it smokes in seconds. I found this diagram today while doing some random searching, and I'm going to try it:
lm386_power_amp.gif

My question is, I don't have r3 and r4, so what are the consequences of skipping them? I have a couple 30a matched transistors and some large heatsinks so heat dissapation isn't a problem, and I'll be running the amp from a regulated 12 volt 12.5 amp power supply. I only need it for a week as a computer speaker amp until I get replacement chips for the 2.1 amp I bought and fried a couple days ago. Also the only diodes I have are 10 amp rectifiers, will they work? and the smallest capacitor I have is 0.1uf, will that be OK for c5?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.