Paper coned Excel woofers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ive not had much really I just go for the excels altho I would like to try them.

But I have heard them to a certain degree. I was at a hifi show a couple of years back and some company had a system with them in.

This consisted of custom 3" versions paired with a 19mm SEAS tweet, these were paired with a small sub that sat in the corner. Fortunatly this was the one room that had good music playing, Nora Jones come away with me album. At the show Id wander around and if I heard something familiar and good Id make a beeline for the room! Holst planets was playing in one room so I sat in there for a few tracks enjoying some good music! not that crappy jazz stuff they like to play. If your gonna do that whack on some ella please and you'd have my vote.

Anyway these sounded VERY good nice and clear with an attractive tonal balance, they didnt have the same "harsh" quality that I heard several times, this ruins a product for me, if its fatiguing in anyway I dont like it.

As far as I can remember Roksans Ojan speakers used a paper Excel unit and this was said to have brilliant bass performance.

Id say buy with confidence.

Where are you buying them from? SEAS seems to have stopped displaying info on them and madisound doesnt stock them anymore. Aha found it on seas, they only seem to have a 4" and 8" paper, either way they both look easy enough to work with if you have software.

Don't forget the M15 CH 001!

In my opinion it's the best mid-unit I've ever seen/heard. It sounds very good in a closed box, but much better in a baffle only.

Search for the Excel EX Motion (at least, that's what I think the name is)

The M15 CH 001 will be the mid-unit for my new front/rear-speakers (using ScanSpeak R2904/700000 (> 2.5k) + Excel M15CH001 (400-2500 Hz) + Monacor SPH170C (100-400 Hz) + 2x Visaton TIW-200 XS (30 - 100 Hz linkwitz xform)

Grtz, Joris

Yes I have also heard good things about that driver, dont forget about the new W15CH thats coming out too.

However I think that moves away from the original post, the point of the papers was to be less expensive then the mags, the poly mid is even more then the mags so.......

The paper excels are always substantially higher in 0.5-1.5 kHz distortion than their sister models with exacty the same motor. You can compare this in the vintage data sheets page.

I would assume this is a clear sign of the non-linear bending taking place in a non-rigid membrane.

Interesting thing is that both the L22 and the W22 have a 2nd harmonic distortion peak at 120-150 Hz. It's still benign and would be covered by motor distortion in most other drivers that usually increases heavily towards lower frequency. In this case, however, it might correspond to the only LF resonance that a metal cone will exhibit and which occurs around 70 Hz, from the top of my head.

Regards,

Eric

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.