• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

The smell of resistors in the evening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
R16 to be precise.

Was measuring the two caps C11 and C9 and C11 I could get close to 175V but the other would shoot up to over 350V (brought up via Variac).

I swapped the 5842's around and it stayed with the channel so it seems not to be the tubes.

R16 then smoked so I shut down.

Any advice? What could cause 350V at C9?

I should add that B+ and B- are within expected range.

Last edited:
Sorry, I thought I had mentioned it was the TSE I was building.

JP; thanks, I have ordered a replacement as I thought that might be a culprit.

Jon, checked the resistors match the Part List.

Being doing some measurements comparing resistance across resistors and they seem to match on both sides (R16 slightly off now that it smoked).

I'll start by replacing the 10M45 and see how that pans out.

LOL

Well the parts are replaced but now I am getting weird numbers from B+ and B- and they are on runaway.

I need to spend some time checking through the changes I made and then I'll start a new thread if I cannot resolve the issues. Be a couple of weeks though before I can get to it.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

So managed to get B+ and B- in check but when measuring C9 to ground and C11 to ground (with rectifier and the 5842's in place) I am getting runaway high voltages where I should expect to get something around 175Vdc.

Up till that point the checkout was going to plan.

Suggestions on what to check are welcomed.

Thanks.

I see nearly full B+ at initial power on - on my monster EML 520B TSE, that's 520VDC. No problems.

Remember that you're also starving the filaments using the variac = less emission = less current the tube can pass. This means the condition will last longer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.