connexelectronic irs2092 kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've searched from time to time but never found measurements. It seems safe to conclude Connexelectronic did a layout shrink of IRAUDAMP7. Some posts by Christi could be read as stating the BOM isn't too heavily cost reduced from IRF's reference design. So I'd figure probably IRAUDAMP7 performance best case. And whatever amount of derating one wants to apply for the lack of measurements, publication of an illegible .jpg instead of .pdf manual, lack of support (my response rate from Connex is one out of three so far), and so on as a most likely case.

Through hole, pre-filter feedback mid-fi is nothing special. If I was going to buy an IRS2092 board I'd try for one of Choco's possible SystemD LiteAmp boards first.

Thats unfortunate...

Most of the feedback on this forum about connexelectronic products has been positive...
Im still hoping for some info from someone who actually has the kit or has heard it.

Are there any other cheap 2092 kits out there? Good quality ofcourse...Its my understanding the for the best price/performance ratio, irs2092 (and class d in general) is the way to go.

All of IRF's reference designs are pre-filter second order hysteresis modulators and most are through hole. With ~350ns propagation delay and fairly granular dead time adjustment the IRS2092 is actually one of the less performant controllers around. Cost effective, certainly. Good quality, well that depends on one's definitions and how the part's used.

You might look at the L15D, L20, L25D lineup from ljm_lhm; they're also IRAUDAMP7 clones but as I recall some characterization data is available here on DIYA.

Not many other options for audio SMPSes though. :rolleyes: A few series LLC magnetics are now available in DIY quantity. But it's hard to DIY competitively with Connexelectronic's prices---the PCB and magnetics alone cost me ~65% of a complete SMPS300RE.

@goocher, you might look at how Choco's using the part in the LiteAmp.

Last edited:
IRS2092K Kit manual is available and send to all who purchased at least one kit. When I will consider necessary will be available online too. the unreadable .jpg is the screenshot of some pages of the manual. If I wouldn't have had at least two fraud attempts from buyers who got the kit then try to get the money back the manual would be public available. thanks to them not to me.
If someone had asked me any information about this kit or any other module by email, I replied unless it was asking for a bargain. If I was asked on the forum PM, don't be sure I reply, is not the official way to contact me. PM is most of the time full and many of the messages are ballast. send me a mail with short questions and I will reply in reasonable time.
Don't expect that anyone who build it and is working fine to post something positive soon, they have no motivation. wait till someone get stuck into something and will start sharing their "negative experiences". I sold over 150 kits already and is about time that someone will start complaining. this is DIY, what the fruit....

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 148505

Check my implementation of IRAUDAMP7, I designed it with DIYers perspective in mind. All through hole, onboard speaker protect, scalable power, more compatible aftermarket inductors, and easier to find compatible heatsinks.

You might look at the L15D, L20, L25D lineup from ljm_lhm; they're also IRAUDAMP7 clones but as I recall some characterization data is available here on DIYA.

such kind of posts are making me to not answer. comparing any of my products with these are insulting and the comparison can only be done by ppls who don't really have much idea about class D or electronics in general. I wish to see a product manual for any of these, except using the manual of the original IRAUDAMP7 which most of the clones are referring too.
When someone buy some kit from some chinese manufacturer over ebay, no problem that it has no manual, no instructions or at most an unreadable schematic and scrambled BOM, was cheap....
really ? how much ? check the price of this kit http://connexelectronic.com/product_info.php/products_id/143 and compare with those. don't forget about the power level and aditional features which are a must in a properly designed class D amplifier.

Last edited:
check the price of this kit Connexelectronic and compare with those
Sorry, there's no characterization data for the IRS2092 kit on that page or in the linked .jpg. So I don't think that page enables performance comparison. Please share THD versus frequency, THD versus level, and such on this thread or provide a link which has that data. The data here shows the L20 is about 6dB worse than IRAUDAMP7. Shouldn't be hard to beat that. So I hope you'd like to help potential customers understand specifically how much better the IRS2092 kit is.

such kind of posts are making me to not answer
The questions I've submitted via Connexelectronic's contact form have not referenced any competitor's products. And they're certainly not forum posts. So I don't think the quoted statement explains the lack of response on Connexelectronic's part. What I have asked for is up to date product manuals so I understand what I'd be buying. That seems pretty reasonable.

If you're concerned about disclosure you're welcome to responde with watermarked .pdfs the way ESS does. But note ESS and their distributors are able to clearly communicate the request process up front and respond within a business day or two, often hours. In comparison I'm still waiting for Connexelectronic to get back to me inquiries from as far back as January 20th, 2014. So I'm sure you can see why I ended up looking at competing products. (And that I might find the tone of post 10 less than encouraging in regards to building a constructive relationship with Connexelectronic.)

Last edited:
IRS2092K kit layout was entirely made from zero, has nothing to do with any other PCB's even with the reference design other than some parts around IRS2092S IC which must be there to make it work.
All the emails are replied within hours or at most few days. Do not expect to get an answer in two hours if you sent the email friday/saturday night. I reserve the right to not answer to some emails which ask too many inside details like PCB Layout and gerbers, or have any other intentions than to purchase something. the list of examples is long.

A watermark in a pdf file is ridiculous in the hands of those which will reproduce it in the next second or just use the information in any other purposes than for what was made. example here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/250360-resonant-smps-wurth-we-llcr-transformer.html None of the other companies who sell SMPS or even amplifier modules would ever publish their product schematic. and for a very good reason.
even more, some of the chinese companies would go that far that will grind the names from the semiconductors in a desperate attempt to hide from their local competitors which will just clone them and sell few $ less.

probably a lite version of the manual will be available on the website if I will get some decent inquiries. but while some enquiries are asking for in-deep details and even making comments from the side, I wont do it. Then keep opening such threads one after another. I'm surprised that ppls still don't understand and ask for assistance on the forum. I designed all the stuff we sell on our website and If they not get the answer from me who else could help them. And once they ask on the forum, don't ask me anymore. Then each time turns into this, where supporters of competitors get spoiled into this game. most of those who throw acid comments never bought anything from us, and some of them even claim they did. And when asked to show purchasing details or even a picture with "their" board it infringes their privacy.

Last edited:
I did not ask Connexelectronic for PCBs, gerbers, or even schematics. So none of those reasons for not responding apply. Please also refer to this thread where Connexelectronic indicated low voltage supplies were a maybe in 2011. If you think about it for a moment you may be able to understand I started looking into DIYing my own SMPS because inquiries through Connexelectronic's website received no response (note: I inquired on the 20th and started the thread on the 31st, beyond the few day max response time you mention).

I can assure you the fear I'm a competitor is baseless. Well, unless you somehow feel providing triamped speaker designs and open source software help make them go discourages people from buying amplifiers. The closest I've come to making an audio PCB is a friend etching a one I laid out with headphone amplifier parts. The last time I submitted a Gerber to a fab house was 1997. It was an entirely passive board which held a pair of oscilloscope probes.

What I am hearing here is Connexelectronic expects customers to buy products blind and then evaluate the kit themselves to see if it meets their needs. It's fine if that's your policy, though I do believe it could have been communicated more politely and in a way which would be less offputting to potential customers. Since I've not purchased the IRS2092 kit I guess that means post 2 in this thread remains the best available information I have on its performance.

It's interesting Choco is a Connexelectronics competitor. I didn't know that.

IRS2092K Kit manual is available and send to all who purchased at least one kit. When I will consider necessary will be available online too. the unreadable .jpg is the screenshot of some pages of the manual. If I wouldn't have had at least two fraud attempts from buyers who got the kit then try to get the money back the manual would be public available. thanks to them not to me. ....

I don't understand why anyone would want to copy the circuit.
IR put out numerous designs online right down to the pcb layout.

Going it alone can be full of problems.
It took me 3 pcb revisions before I got one that didnt reset on high power levels.
The 2092 isn't beginner user friendly in regards to layout and decoupling if you go it alone.l

The 2092 isn't beginner user friendly in regards to layout and decoupling if you go it alone.
Well, with customer service like this we might not have a choice. Apparently one has to buy a kit to find out whether it's balanced or unbalanced input. And if you needed balanced and it turns out its unbalanced Connexelectronic may consider trying to return it to be fraud? :eek: I'm sure Christi will have something to say about how the product photo shows a three pin connector at the front of the board and how emails should get responses (still waitin', yo) but, ya know, being able to look at a pinout to confirm before purchasing seems like an easy way to save everybody some hassle. In fairness, from what I can tell from the .jpg the input connections might be labeled on page 7 of the manual. Though from the assembly drawing and product photos it looks like the labels get covered up when the connector's soldered down.

As another example, the output connector pinout would be handy too---the product page reads like a dual supply might be needed but the schematic on page 6 seems to show a single supply; hard to tell due to the low res though. Out of curiosity I just glanced at an eBay listing for an L15D and it clearly shows the input and output pinouts.

The reason I replied on this thread to start with was I was debating about purchasing three SMPS300REs versus SMPS600RxEs and was hoping someone might reply with measurements of the kit so I'd have some data upon which to make a decision about whether to add some IRS2092s to the order. Definitely some reconsidering going on here.

Customer service has nothing to do with some claimed anonymous enquiry. I got around 100 emails per day. some of them are just wasting of time, bargains, spam and so on. but there are still ~ 50 which I have to answer. In all this years I can't recall too many forum users saying that he send us an email and got a reply.
Customer service is dedicated as the name says to customers. aka the ones who pay for something. If you pay at least one cent you are a customer. If not, what obligation do I have ? If you feel that you have paid for something and not got the item or service, you can proceed to recover your payment.
I verified all the emails received from 19 till 22 January and there is not a single unanswered email. I have no idea who are you, so maybe your email is already answered but you haven't noticed, not satisfied with the answer or was simply not delivered. In any case, what makes you so frustrated like you feel that I owe you something. are you gonna dedicate a good part of your time just jerking on my threads and about my products ? time is a finite and precious resource which I cannot afford to waste on such things so, who does this have a well defined purpose from the very beginning, and I think you are not an exception. throughout time on this forum I had several "friends" who did similar things and one of them was so obvious that was supporting a competitor and nobody took any measure to chill it down. it was only when that competitor went out of business (or at least their page is down since half year buy still collecting payments) the guy gave up.

Product description is clear enough to understand if is balanced or not. even on the manual screenshot can see those 3 pins from input connector what represents. what's the importance of the pinout for a board which wasn't even purchased yet ? is someone afraid that some pins are missing to save cost ? or there are some mistakes and forgot to connect GND ? these are details which only matter after the board is on your table, being assembled or already assembled.

And what's the trouble of buying something without clear description ? you guys do this in 95% of the cases when buying on ebay. I said many times and I repeat: If someone buy some random board on ebay aliexpress talibaba or whatever flea market has no importance if has no instructions of any kind, no customer support (AFTER PURCHASE) at all they are happy that was "cheap". Or simply because you see me here on the forum I have to answer to all the questions 24/7 otherwise is bad support.... what's the borderline between a product which requires manual and 24/7 customer support answering to all possible and impossible questions and "take it as it is - we not english speak sorry".

Take example your highly praised L15: show me the manual: if it has at least half the number of pages as my kit has and clear description with all the details I promise I will publish the manual online. But if it doesn't ? one of my customer bought some of those boards 2-3 years ago and used them with one of my SMPS. all the modules had issues from overheating to fireworks. I asked him to send me back to investigate the issue and help him repair them. it turned out that they were using "substandard" components (to avoid the word....) and when I wrote about this on the forum I was about to be lynched by the supporters who probably haven't had the chance for a better alternative in that price range.

Not the return itself is fraud. don't twist my words all the time ! If you think that is normal to purchase a product, open a dispute when already arrived in your country, refuse to close it, then open again not as described after paypal close it, claiming that the manual was not received when I sent 6 emails. 6 not one or two. and the last email sent had paypal address in cc and they confirmed that they received and is readable. the case was eventually closed but the money are still not in my pocket.
Another example: Order something, ask by email to send it to another address because you help a friend to buy it, once is delivered open a case and say that was never received. this happened for me twice and at least one of them is a forum member. of course he never answer to emails or PM anymore and deny everything. luckily paypal recently look deeper into the cases and analyse all the details before a decision is made and these kind of scams are not going out so easy anymore. and if the fraudster do this twice, will have some repercussions. some ppls, indeed very few, are doing a transaction with well defined purpose to scam. their plan is to get the money back by whatever means once the item is received. on the internet are never-ending lists with such situations and their heroes. I found two of them which are in the list.
With the "try 30 days and return" I was fired as well two times when i got back the boards which were either modified or damaged and was a total loss, all being scrapped.

If you had some legitimate reasons to ask about weather the SMPS300RE or SMPS600RxE is suitable, this could be done without trying to spread false suppositions about the product itself. if you don't fully understand how a power supply works and what's the role of each component, GIYF. you have used the information from the product manual for another purpose than what for was made. thanks to this, no other power supply manual will ever show any schematic. same as any other company, good or bad. Try to do this with another product, take Hypex for example, get one SMPS unit and make the same. then one week later tell me if their lawyer is chasing you or not. Soon we will have a new company representative in Europe, I'm working at this now, then many things will change, including legal aspects and trademarks.

Last edited:
I got the message about Connexelectronic prioritizing intellectual property protection over price, quality, or service several posts ago. No need to belabour the point. I'm certainly aware email's not 100% reliable so I did follow up a few days later and also got no response.

Here's a screenshot of what seems to be the input connector as shown with zoom in my browser. I'm unable to read the pin labels so thanks for updating the description; I take it "3.3 to 3.9Kr" is 3.3 to 3.9 kOhms?

With regards to the SMPS300RE versus SMPS600RxE I would suggest proofreading the SMPS600RxE page as a start. Currently it refers to the part as the SMPS500RxE, doesn't state the size of the module (though one can ballpark it from the picture), and neglects to mention the range of output voltages available on request. It would also be rather useful to know if the aux connector supports the control pins found on the 2000RxE. (The RxE in the part name and some posts here on DIYAudio suggest at least some of the pins are implemented.)

Attachments

• IRS2092kit.png
    IRS2092kit.png
    83.8 KB · Views: 617
I've purchased this kit

I want to say this: I purchased this kit from Cristi. Pretty quickly I got the PDF from him, and while I'll respect his wishes and not distribute I'll say it's a really well written document. It's far better than the documentation I've gotten for other product, including products from one of the other top rated sellers.

I've also purchased a couple of other items, including an SMPS800R, SMPS500R, and his soft start board. All were fantastic products, though I purchased the 500 through a third party (hifimediy us store) because, and this is the only fault so far I have with Cristi, his shipping company is insanely slow. Everything coming out of China, however, takes forever to receive - and I can't fault him for that - though the particular shipping company he uses I'd place last against the others available for shipping from China. That's, just, like, my opinion though man. :)

What's not just my opinion is the quality of Connex / Cristi's product. I spent a significant amount of time on this board and researching the opinions of the highly knowledgeable and respected individuals here and what I came away with was that his product was quality. I can say that having 3 of his products in hand, I had no problem purchasing the 3 boards from him. I did this because the quality of product that I received thus far has been top notch combined with the opinions of others I've read.

Back on topic...

Now given all of that here's what I can say about the kit thus far. Nothing. It actually arrives tomorrow (Tuesday) - and I'll begin soldering this week if I get the time. If you want I'd be happy to provide feedback and / or progress as I go. I'm pretty novice at soldering, having done a lot of bad soldering in my time and not till recently anything I can be proud of. However, I always used $5 irons. I have a proper setup now, and started watching tutorials on youtube, etc. I bought a couple of small DIY PCB soldering kits, and that got me the nerve to say heck, I can do this. So far, based on reading the docs, the hardest part appears will be simply mounting the heatsinks right. The doc comes with a clear PCB Layout which shows every position that every single component needs to be soldered into, so I don't think you'll have a problem figuring out what goes where. Looking at the parts list, there's about 100 part that need to be soldered onto each board - so I suspect it'll get a bit tedious. Also, the only surface mount part - the irs2092s comes pre-soldered.

Finally I may be talking out of turn here - but from my understanding this is not a balanced input board.

A small investment in time reading Cristi's threads should make clear that email communication can be problematic. He's a one man operation and takes his work very seriously, has a family and day job IIRC. Unfortunately he spends a lot of time dealing with emails including emails from people who don't own his products but still want help with a competing product and he seems to be tired of it.

Personally I think his manuals are incredibly well written and easy to follow. No one else who sells similar products come anywhere close that I'm aware of in that regard. He clearly put a lot of work into it/

I believe he had posted that questions should be asked at the Connex forum on his website for faster response.

I think the Connex website makes it seem like it's a proper business and not a one-man operation. I was frustrated with my orders (loong time ago) but once I understood his situation - as well as getting great customer support - I chilled out.

Maybe Cristi should put a disclaimer up on the website that it's just him, ask questions on the website forum, and above all be patient.

I would definitely order from Cristi if I wanted a high quality amp and power supply that required no modding. His power supplies are absolutely worth the wait.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.