My FH3 Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been debating what my next build would be for quite a while. I finally decided on a pair of Frugal-Horn 3's with Alpair 7's. I was ready to pull the trigger on the A7's one evening last week, but for some odd reason decided to hold off. The next day a DIYAudio member was selling a pair, along with a pair of CHP-70's (I already have a pair and LOVE them). I bought both pairs for less than the pair of A7's would have cost if I had ordered them the night before.

So, now I have the A7's and I put them on some very low volume music tonight to get them broken-in.

I got the cabinets built today. I used 5/8 inch chipboard, which is what I almost always use for my speaker builds. They are still pretty rough, but as long as I like the sound, I'll veneer them and do my best to make them look good. I'm going with a supra-baffle so I can try different drivers.

The pictures kind of walk through the build. The first two show how I drew out the curve. After I positioned the yardstick properly, I traced it so the line was visible. Then I used a jigsaw to cut it. Once I had it cut, I marked that piece as my template. If I like the FH3's, I might want to build some more for me or for someone else; thus, the template.

Once I had my template, I used it as the pattern to draw/trace my four sides. Then I cut-out each side piece with my jigsaw. I stayed outside the line I had traced using my template. Once I had all four rough-cut, I lined up my template with the lines I had drawn, screwed it to the side piece, and used my router to trim off the rough-cut edges.

From there, I measured, set, and glued the inside baffles to one side, making sure they were setting 90 degrees to the side. If I do another pair, I might try routering a "dado" slot, like the CNC flat packs. However, my way seemed to work well.

Next I put some of the lining on, and then attached the other side with screws and no glue yet. I want to be able to play with the amount of stuffing, so until I'm done with that, I'll wait to finish gluing everything.

The hole for the speaker is larger than the speaker needs; it's a 5" circle. I then rounded the inside of the hole in the front baffle.
My next step will be the supra-baffle.

Hopefully that was clear enough to follow. I took pics along the way. Maybe they'll clarify my steps.

This wasn't as complex as I had feared. It wasn't as simple as my other builds, but it wasn't bad. A table saw (or circular saw and straight edge guide), a jigsaw, a router, and a drill are the power tools I used. Once I figured out how to draw the curve to the measurements provided, it was pretty easy.

I'm all ears if there are any suggestions.

Mike

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    836.4 KB · Views: 404
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    644.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    589.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    562.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    558.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    539.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 356
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 355
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    750.8 KB · Views: 374
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    799.1 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:
I got them built last night, temporarily. I'm waiting to finish and veneer them until I have a chance to play with the stuffing. I didn't get a chance to listen very long, but so far, so good. I have no doubt they'll sound good. My other MA projects have.
Mike

Attachments

• FH3.JPG
    FH3.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 224
- wish I was not sick when I was up in your area. Thanks for extending the welcome
and best wishes.

If you're up here again, let me know. Maybe my listening area will be back to normal.

Nice. Did you get a chance to take a good listen yet?

I haven't had a good sit-down session with them yet. My listening area/environment has changed for the foreseeable future. However, I will make some time and arrangement soon to give them a good listen. Meanwhile, I'll just let them keep playing. I started them playing last Sunday night (over a week ago) and they haven't stopped since. For the first 4 days they were playing at very low volume. Since them, I have bumped up the volume closer to a normal listening level and added a little bass. So, at least they're going through a good break-in period.
Mike

I have these set up for listening now. I did the stuffing per the info on the FH website. So far..... I must say I am not disappointed in the least. I have a few weeks of low level volume on them. I'm giving them a little more juice for the time-being. I'm playing the "Art of Noise" station on Pandora.
VERY NICE! (That's an understatement.)
Clean, clear, crisp, appropriate bass, nice highs, everything in between is great too.
No harshness. Very easy on the ears.
I was listening to a Steely Dan station on Pandora earlier; a lot of '70s and '80s music. Again, VERY NICE!
I have them about 6 feet from me, about 6 feet apart, toed in slightly. Imaging is great. The wind instrument on Enigma's Principles of Lust/Sadness/Find Love is right in front of me; not at either speaker- in between them. The lusty whispering woman is moving around in front of me.
These are well worth the time and effort to build.
I'm running them off a Sony STR-5800 SD receiver. I'll try my Jolida next.
Great speakers.
Yep, I REALLY do like them.
Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.