Change input voltage on Bash 500W sub amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have this Partsexpress Bash 500W subwoofer amp, that I wish to convert to 220/240v if possible.

I have little experience with electronics, but I figured it might be easily done, since most amps of this type has a swich for it by default, and since its a switch-mode power supply.

Can anyone tell me if its possible to do this without too much trouble? :) See attached pics.

Attachments

• 20140224_002718.jpg
    20140224_002718.jpg
    746.2 KB · Views: 651
  • 20140224_002730.jpg
    20140224_002730.jpg
    781.2 KB · Views: 528
Thats unfortunate. One would think it would be an easy fix,
since these types of amps, usually have a simple switch for it...

Hi,

No.
Normal power supplies have series parallel
primaries and thus are easily switched.

Lower power switched supplies can handle both, but I've
never seen a switched supply with a 115/230 switch.

200V caps haven't a prayer of handling 240VAC,
they are what you need for around 115VAC.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Most of the switchable types of supplies will have 2x 200V caps,because they use a voltage doubler (from 120Vac),or lift/open (with the 120/240V switch) the 'center tap',as it were,for 240Vac use. Either way,it gets rectified to ~320Vdc,which is what the supply then runs from.

Looking at your supply,it *may* be possible,by cutting a trace,or jumper wire. Trace out the AC input circuitry,and see what you've got.

Take a look at this,to see what I mean:
http://sound.westhost.com/lamps/pfc0-f3.gif

It seems that the circut board is glued to the amp frame, so I cant remove it to trace the path :( I guess that also means it will be impossible to do the modification?

Here is a nearfield image if its of any help.

Attachments

• powerinput.jpg
    powerinput.jpg
    602.3 KB · Views: 464
It seems that the circut board is glued to the amp frame, so I cant remove it to trace the path :( I guess that also means it will be impossible to do the modification?

Here is a nearfield image if its of any help.

The board is not glued to the panel - glue is used on top of the plastic standoffs.

All you need to do is to remove some of the "zero ohm links" - I am working on a Bash 500S and will tell you which one(s) after I draw the input schematics. ;)

This is how you do it for the Bash 300S: http://www.jjensen.se/projekt/bash_300s.html

Cheers!

Last edited:
The board is not glued to the panel - glue is used on top of the plastic standoffs.

All you need to do is to remove some of the "zero ohm links" - I am working on a Bash 500S and will tell you which one(s) after I draw the input schematics. ;)

This is how you do it for the Bash 300S: JJensen.se

Cheers!

Wish I'd known that before I returned it :D
But thanks! Very cool to know

This is how you do it for the Bash 300S: http://www.jjensen.se/projekt/bash_300s.html

Cheers!

I have a similar problem converting the BASH 500 to 240V AC.

Unlike the BASH 300 in the illustration, the BASH 500 has 2 zero ohm links connected to AC inputs of the bridge rectifier on one end. There are no Y-WY-WR connection points on the board.

I am considering removing the 2 zero ohm links but I am not sure where to solder the jumper connector. Do I still have to solder a jumper connector? If yes, where would it be connected?

Thanks in advance.

08eae3ae01dfdfa434c29f6c3ea9c829.jpg

c920517f4b8a220f7288cda91385c5e9.jpg

Unlike the BASH 300 in the illustration, the BASH 500 has 2 zero ohm links connected to AC inputs of the bridge rectifier on one end. There are no Y-WY-WR connection points on the board.

Reithi,

There are in fact 3 zero ohm links - I have stopped working on the Bash 500 conversion, so I do not have the information you need. Sorry.

Once I get my "shift" together and complete this project, I will share my results.

Cheers,

D

Reithi,

There are in fact 3 zero ohm links - I have stopped working on the Bash 500 conversion, so I do not have the information you need. Sorry.

Once I get my "shift" together and complete this project, I will share my results.

Cheers,

D

Thanks D. You are correct that it has 3 zero ohm links.

Rather than take a risk, I will order a 55-0-55V 1000W Torodial Transformer to power each module.

Attachments

• IMG_5944.JPG
    IMG_5944.JPG
    260.1 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Hello can you help me to convert this to 240 VAC?

Dropbox - IMG_5944.JPG

it is Mirage Prestige S10 BASH 300W amplifier

Sorry for not seeing this before...

All you need to do is:
(1) Remove both zero-ohm links on either side of empty spot marked as 230V
(2) Solder one of the previously removed zero-ohm links in the empty spot marked as 230V

A picture is attached.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_5944.JPG
    IMG_5944.JPG
    229.7 KB · Views: 151
There are 2 possible mechanisms for manually changing between 120V/230V in simple SMPS circuits that support that feature.
- One involves switching 2 loads from parallel connection to series connection. Some models/releases of BASH include jumpers to do so. This is not very common.
- The other involves changing the input rectifier from "full wave" to two "half waves" in series, which is achieved by connecting one input of the diode bridge to the center of primary side bulk capacitors. This scheme is often found in old computer power supplies. Optionally both halves of the diode bridge can be used, but this requires interrupting the input to the free half and connecting it in paralell to the used one.

More complex (over-complicated for its function) SMPS can require more changes. BASH amplifiers are over-complicated in that field. I have seen at least 3 types of voltage selection scheme in BASH PCBs, and all involve more than one jumper. The job for the designers was as easy as sizing diode bridge for 120V operation (costs as much as two jumpers) and including a single labeled jumper in PCB, where a connector for external switch can also be fitted, as old designers did in AT computer SMPS. Technologically BASH is not more advanced.

Since these circuits involve hazardous voltage and current, it is recommended to post changes for approval in case of doubt. Some BASH schematics with indications can be found using the search tool.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.