D.I.Y. 100 Dollar Guitar Amp ! 6V6/6L6 PP !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2014
Better late then never ! Ok I guess I'm a few years late for the challenge but I saved the best wine for last ! .
I made a PP 6V6 / 6L6 Guitar Amp for 100 Dollars ! . I saw the challenge to make one and decided to give it a try ! . 20 dollars for PT and Choke - Navy Surplus used .
23 dollars Chassis . 12 dollars tube sockets . 30 dollars (new) OT 35 watt PP .
5 dollars for 40 feet of copper wire. 4 dollars for 2 new pots. 10 dollars total for the recycled misc. parts , switches , plugs , used large caps and for a fuse holder .
I'm At 84 dollars now ! .
16 dollars still left for a few new resistors and for the used tubes. two tubes were 50 cents , two were 3 dollars. The 2x4 was included in the 23 dollars up above and it was 70 % off because it was warped and it Makes no-difference using only 12 inch pieces ! .
I just barely made it at 100 dollars ! . Only because I had already bought most of the parts really cheap ! .

Two 6V6 , One 5Y3, One 6SN7 , and One 6SQ7 . Design was Based upon A 1948 GE and 1953 and A Gretch model with cathode bias . I decided against using a 6SC7 phase inverter like the Gretch did .
It Can use a 5U4 , 6SL7 and two 6L6's also , but not for only 100 dollars ! .

100 Dollar Guitar amp - A mission that is not impossible ! .

Attachments

• 100 dollar DIY amp 022.jpg
    100 dollar DIY amp 022.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 251
  • 100 dollar DIY amp 001.jpg
    100 dollar DIY amp 001.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 240
  • 100 dollar DIY amp 005.jpg
    100 dollar DIY amp 005.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 235
  • 100 dollar DIY amp 021.jpg
    100 dollar DIY amp 021.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2014
Printer 2 - I Don't think I could design one for only 100 dollars that others could build - not one with a power transformer or push pull transformers ! .
and Kuro Guy I was at 85 dollars when I should of said 84 dollars actually when I re-checked the math ! .

I could make a side push SE line stereo amp for right around 100 though with two used 5 tube radios ! .
I'm not afraid of line amps with indexed power chords and a fuse !
They are just about the same as what everything else new is made with today even the computers we are on ! .
I would actually perfer line amps over all transformer amps , the problem is our wimpy little 120 volt USA power grids ! .

DC is basically the old Edison school of thought and I am from the more modern Tesla AC way of thinking !
The fuse was actually Edisons greatest invention I think after his failed light bulb and his successful light bulb ! .
Why should I use a DC power transformer to add more noise and add more bass if neither one is necessary ?
The whole DC thing with low 115 line current is a pure money making scam of Edison from what I see it as being .

Tesla " Mr. AC Power " was gonna give US free electricity and Edison , JP Morgan and Marconi sold it to US , RCA basically was The Racketeering Corporation of America and there is Edisons other Company GE ! .

Last edited:
Printer 2 - I Don't think I could design one for only 100 dollars that others could build - not one with a power transformer or push pull transformers ! .
and Kuro Guy I was at 85 dollars when I should of said 84 dollars actually when I re-checked the math ! .

I could make a side push SE line stereo amp for right around 100 though with two used 5 tube radios ! .
I'm not afraid of line amps with indexed power chords and a fuse !
They are just about the same as what everything else new is made with today even the computers we are on ! .
I would actually perfer line amps over all transformer amps , the problem is our wimpy little 120 volt USA power grids ! .

DC is basically the old Edison school of thought and I am from the more modern Tesla AC way of thinking !
The fuse was actually Edisons greatest invention I think after his failed light bulb and his successful light bulb ! .
Why should I use a DC power transformer to add more noise and add more bass if neither one is necessary ?
The whole DC thing with low 115 line current is a pure money making scam of Edison from what I see it as being .

Tesla " Mr. AC Power " was gonna give US free electricity and Edison , JP Morgan and Marconi sold it to US , RCA basically was The Racketeering Corporation of America and there is Edisons other Company GE ! .

Line powered amps are a no-no. What makes you think a fuse will blow before you do, also indexed power cords assume the person wiring the outlet actually did it properly. Also computer ps's have a transformer in them to isolate the main's from the rest of the computer.

If the forum is against line amps then I am against the forum !

:cop: We will terminate your membership, if you prefer. The rule is there for a reason. Line powered amps are stupid-dangerous. If you kill yourself with it, that's Darwin in action, but you're just as likely to kill someone else with it.

I have removed several posts and closed this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.