Want to, but never built hi-end audio equip.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I had all but given up on ever owning high end audio due to the costs. I recently started doing simple repairs and part swapping with my computer. This got me thinking about building my own music/home theater system. I'm a fairly intelligent person who possesses a lot of drive. Surely I can learn how to buy my own parts and build my own equipment.

I'm hoping to talk to people who can point me in the right direction on how to go about learning the ropes.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

thanks,
Keith
kcoley1@netzero.net

Account Disabled
Joined 2002
Hi Keith,
You've come to a good place on the net to learn about DIY audio!
As far as building your own stuff, there are a few things I would suggest.
1. Get a basic electronics book and learn what resistors, capacitors, inductors, diodes, transistors, etc. do, and how they work. You need to learn about what the parts do, and how the values are labeled, etc. Also, learn safety, and how not to kill yourself. Learn how things are measured, and how to use a multimeter.
2. find an old piece of junk with a circuit board, get yourself a small pencil type soldering iron with a fine point, and start practicing desoldering/soldering components. There should be some info on how to solder on the net. Passdiy.com has some info on soldering.
3. As soon as you get the basics down, find a simple project or a kit to build. If you can do metalworking, you should be able to build simple things on your own (as soon as you learn the basics of electronics).

I assume from your post that you don't have electronic experience. I hope that these suggestions help you. Just like everything else, it's about taking your time and reading as much as you can get your hands on, and then applying it to something practical. Being a smart guy, you should be able to pick up enough to start dabbling fairly quick, but I would definitely recommend learning the basics so that you have a foundation for what you're learning.Hope this helps. Email me if I can help at all.
Steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.