Interesting observations of YouTube recordings.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was watching the following clip of what I consider to be a gorgeous sound system. It has pretty decent camera sound, in fact it sounds pretty good on my end for a camera.
western electric 15A "small" SATO-Horn JBL 2420 Klipsch La Scala FOSTEX FT65H - YouTube

That naturally got my thinking what the track would sound like coming straight from my computer. (Just an MP3 of it, not a recording of another stereo)
Charly Antolini - Cabriolet - 1981 - YouTube

The result is disappointing. lol Now I know that the fellow probably had a better copy then the video I linked, but I don't think it could be that much better.

Perhaps it's just the mojo of that guys systems, I bet it is a ripping good system to experience in person.

Anyhow I don't have a point other then to share my amusement and to see if anyone else has a similar experience to mine by watching the two videos.

Is that stereo just that awesome?

Cheers.

With my just completed "proof of concept" set-up on my PC, the first video sounds just like one coming into a club, the acoustics changing as you wander thru the club...only thing missing is the background locals chatting.
Since I completed my POC for my PC, I've noticed rather starkly the vast differences in on-line (YT) music. Poor recordings vs. 'Good' ones. The good recordings are slowly displacing the poor ones....same as the good HD videos are pushing out the poor ones.

____________________________________________________Rick..........

Yes, I did notice the mic overload...There must be a way of building these monster horns....without having to be a master wood craftsman.
Perhaps using fiberglass chopper guns, same way as boat molds ( & hulls) are made. Something that is repeatable, not a one-off. If one cannot share the creation, what's the point? The trouble I see is, individuals "wanting" to use antique/vintage drivers....driving the costs up & out of sight.
Once you get the process down & making duplicates gets going faster & faster...some out their will be breaking down your door trying to get one. You'd have people harassing you day & night declaring PINO!(price is no object)
Let's keep it on the low-down...but one does need the "blueprints" to make the mold first.

___________________________________________________Rick.........

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
How would you mold them? In lateral halves?
On the W.E. horns the throat was metal for the first 18~24", iirc. It was the transition from round exit to rectangular horn. You gotta get that right, too.

I'm not convinced that fiberglass would sound the best, but haven't heard them in fiberglass.

Yes, 'sliced' down the middle, two 'mirror' halves.
When I was a teenager I helped "Glass' a large boat, messy in the extreme. With the advent of chopper guns, building up glass structures has shortened fabrication time immensely. The days of laying out mat & 'gooing' it in, ..another layer, repeat,repeat, repeat really gets old very fast. So much time & effort expended really kills the enthusiasm. Behold...the gun!
Being as we REALLY don't care much about how the outside of the horn looks, why not? I'd more than likely want to enclose the horn somewhat on the outside anyway! My brother-in-law has also done glass work too......I'll pick his brain.

_______________________________________________________Rick.......

I could make some.

Making a mold and fiberglass, as you say to be repeatable, is a good idea.
I had not considered that approach.

Although I admit wanting to build some out of wood, perhaps this need could be fulfilled and simplified by building one singular mold(s).

One could assume a different sound from fiberglass which may or may not be a bad thing. It may also be able to compensate or tune the horn by applying extra fiberglass in selected areas.
Textured surfaces could be molded to the inside as well.

I have started researching designs, it might make sense to focus on a slightly smaller sized horn like the Sato as having the bucks for a compression driver that can go low enough to take advantage of the 15A s larger size is pricey.

I am also looking into bendable plywoods. It would be nice to get it through the company that supplies my employer with lumber.

Something like layers 2 layers of 2 ply Birch, perhaps with a layer of cardstock type paper in between.

Though challenging, the project is exciting for me as I don't get to work with flexible sheetgoods very often.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
1. post, link one, Western ... Sato... Klipsch

does sit really sound that way ?
well, I can hear its very 'dynamic', but ... is it good ?

I guess it is impressive for a tube amp to sound like that :scratch2:
but also reminds me a bit of the old days of hard sounding japanese transistor amps ... maybe with less distortion :clown:

to me it sounds too much like concrete basement acoustic
but is also why I ask, is that for real, does it really sound like that, or ... ?

The reproduction is good.

I don't see the relevance of the artist or music to this observation, but OK have let's have some fun.

The focal point of that song and my enamoration with those horns is the percussion.

I agree that stomp box would be fatiguing after a while.

EDIT: ..and the bass is boomy etc.

Last edited:
I must agree, they note that that LaScala goes to 20Hz.????Really?...just how long a horn does it take to get to twenty?, the length of a Bus I'd bet...? All the EQ in the world won't get that horn down that low.....As we know horns will drop like a rock past a certain point. There is no control of the waveform once it exits the horn...it is now dependent upon room geometries, making nodes here & there, if your lucky.
One can tweek it up one side & down the other but the math stays firm, no control...no propagation.

______________________________________________________Rick...........

Woofer: Klipsch LA Scala with original K-33 woofer, cabinet-sides filled with sand (20hz-280Hz)

mid: Small copy of a Wesern Electric 15A 70cm x 70cm with JBL 2420 (280Hz-3,2KHz)

tweeter: FOSTEX FT65H (3,2KHz-20HKz)

CAMBRIDGE AUDIO magic 6
YAMAHA D2040 digital channel divider
for the mid: SUN AUDIO uchida with F2a11
for woofer and tweeter: PROTON six chanel Amp

Song: charly antolini "cabriolet" from the Crash Album

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.