Power Amplifiers Preamps Yamaha p2200

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gday
I bought a Yamaha p2200. Im after anyone who can send me some advice, some specs, some useful information about this amp.
ABout it -
One channel is broken it reads 80vDC on the speaker teminals. Any suggestions, likely faults? I looked at the PCB for that channel briefly and it didnt have any visible damage. Where to start testing? WHat reading i should get if i test certain parts? Schematics?

Now im new to the whole power amp thing(only used hifi b4) It has cannon inputs - does a preamp have to be used or is there somthing wrong with the working channel on my amp. if i plug a cd player straight in its very quiet. If i put an amp between them it goes off up into 300w!???

Anyone who knows anything about this amp can you please Email me.
Thankyou
Daniel

Merry CHristmas

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

As for plugging the CD player in, it shouldn't be 'very quiet'. You may need a preamp to reach the full output power, but you should be able to make some noise with just the CD player. Make sure it is connected between pins 1 (ground), and 2 (line) on the XLR socket. Also short the unused pin 3 to ground - this will be essential if the amp has transformer balanced inputs.

Hope this helps,
Tim.

yes.. the amp... fixing..

G'day
I have been looking into this amp
i downloaded that manual thanx for that. I have established that my amp has been modified. That it has had an add on of a built in bi-amp circutry. I have looked over it and i cant see any obvious damage. However i noticed that one of the power supply capacitors is slightly browned. Could this be why i read 70vdc on the output? Im not so sure. It doesnt really make sense. What is it that the huge capacitors do? Im gunna swap the capacitors around tommorow unless someone suggest otherwise and see if that works however that will take a fair effort. If anyone could suggest anything else thatd be great. By the way the input is written 100w/8ohm unbalanced. Does this mean that i have to amplifie my input sound to 100w b4 it goes into the amp for it to work properly.
Could i plug my cd player into my hifi amp (30w) and plug the speaker terminals of the hifi amp into the input of the power amp. Or would that stuff something up? Otherwise at full volume the power amp only puts out about 40w. Thankyou
Daniel

bugger. . . .

Ok the end story . .
The amp is old, the amp is broken, the amp is heavy. I sent it to the repair man. Hoping he might be able to fix it. And yes he probably can fix it. He found that 5 out of 6 of the output transistors were blown (Around $30 each) he found that a whole bunch of little transistors were blown, he found a whole bunch of fusing transistors were blown ($2.50 each) and he found that itd take him probably a whole day to fix. Looking at over $300 to fix this amp which i paid $212.50 for.
Anyway
So if anyone wants to buy a yamaha p2200 amplifier off me email me One channel does work fine, it has an inbuilt active crossover as well which works fine. Its transformer works fine (And is huge!!) It still look pretty new considering how old it is it has aged well. It weighs 22kg and is built like a tank of solid metal. The one channel that works is a minimum of 230w into 8 ohm. 4-16ohm speaker output. So i will for the time being put my two woofers on this working channel. If you are electronically minded, it wouldnt cost all that much to repair it as you wouldnt have to pay for labour. Youd be looking at a working professional power amp for under 500bucks. I however arnt investing any more money.
I live in central Victoria Australia.
Ill sell for anything over 200
Daniel

Amp for sale

Ok, my amp is for sale.
230w 8ohm rms continuois sine wave input. One channel is broken. One supply cap will need replacing.
Yamaha guy in bendigo said on average the broken channel in this amp cost $150 to repair. JKL capacitors quoted me around $150 for 2 new supply caps including postage (depends on aussie dollar of course) I no longer need this as i got myself a soundking amp and i am now working almost 50 hours a week so yeah... There is NO glue on the caps!! It is all there, the case looks like it woulda new. I am after $200 ONO. DOnt hesitate to ask questions.
Daniel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.