MLTL for prototype drivers from China

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got stuck with a box of prototype 6.5" drivers from China. They appear to be well made. They are 4 ohm. car audio drivers but the specs are favorable. I'm looking for someone that can help with modeling a MLTL for them. I've had them for 3yrs and I would like to do something with them.
Name: Brand X
fs. 37.8
sd 118 cm2
le .13mh
vas 35 L
qt .32
re 3.1 ohm

I built a ML-TQWT for the Brand X 6.5" woofer according to the calculator on this site. mh-audio Tapered Quarter Wave Tube
The low bass was amazing form 25hz - 35hz but it sucked out all of the 50hz - 60hz. The driver does have a little low QT .32 but this should allow me to tune it above fs. 35hz. I plan to tune it to 42hz. I would like to model and build a ML-TL and compare it to a B.R. that I have now tuned at 42hz. It sounds fantastic.
The Exclamation speakers that you are referring to are using a top of the line Alpine tweeter from about 15 yrs. ago. thanks for the reply.

Maybe try playing with stuffing location. Maybe that dip is due to the harmonic ripple, and seeing a suckout before the 3rd harmonic peak. I'm presuming a lot, and have no idea if I'm correct.

Just an idea. I used the excel calculator sheet on the quarterwave site, to design my tapered pipe. Stuffing was quite critical, and since upgrading one speaker to active, I'm not convinced ive damped enough....

Because Qts is 0.32, you'll have to tune the system higher than Fs if you want an essentially flat response from the knee on up in frequency. Your choice of using 42 Hz may or may not be optimum, and unless you use modeling software that's accurate and provides graphical results, you won't know for sure what you'll get. Also, there should be no need to tweak stuffing density or location after the build if you model correctly and build exactly what you modeled (unless you simply like to tweak because you can).

If you provide the values for Qes and Qms and give me a general idea of the shape and maximum size of the cabinet you're hoping for, I'd be happy to model this for you.
Paul

I built a ML-TQWT for the Brand X 6.5" woofer according to the calculator on this site. mh-audio Tapered Quarter Wave Tube
The low bass was amazing form 25hz - 35hz but it sucked out all of the 50hz - 60hz. The driver does have a little low QT .32 but this should allow me to tune it above fs. 35hz. I plan to tune it to 42hz. I would like to model and build a ML-TL and compare it to a B.R. that I have now tuned at 42hz. It sounds fantastic.
The Exclamation speakers that you are referring to are using a top of the line Alpine tweeter from about 15 yrs. ago. thanks for the reply.

Thanks so much. I have a reference pair now is 1 cu. ft bass reflex tuned at 42 that i modeled on BassBox 6 Pro and they sound fantastic. Qes .34 , Qms 5.5 I have no limitations on size and length , whatever is optimum. I prefer a wide front baffle and rear vent. The image I have is about 11" wide x 6" -7" deep x 45"- 48" tall.

Do you know what Xmax is, at least approximately? Is there going to be just one of these drivers in the cabinet, like for a 2-way?
Paul

Thanks so much. I have a reference pair now is 1 cu. ft bass reflex tuned at 42 that i modeled on BassBox 6 Pro and they sound fantastic. Qes .34 , Qms 5.5 I have no limitations on size and length , whatever is optimum. I prefer a wide front baffle and rear vent. The image I have is about 11" wide x 6" -7" deep x 45"- 48" tall.

I'll see what shakes out, but IME locating the driver at literally the very beginning of the line is seldom very good unless it's for subwoofer duty where the driver is crossed below 200 Hz.
Paul

Paul can you please do 2 models for comparrison? One with driver and port in ideal alignment and one with driver at one end and port at other end. I have a design that that may be more attractive but it would require the driver and port all the way at opposite ends. Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.