• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

For Sale: One TC Sounds HE-15 cube (similar to Stryke Power 15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have taken it off Ebay and am now selling it for a flat $1000.

Chicago area only – this item weighs more than 100 pounds!

This is a hand built subwoofer of my own design, based on the recommendations of the driver’s manufacturer - TC Sounds. I have been designing subwoofers for many years and have personal contacts at TC Sounds. I built this unit for the sole purpose of reselling it, and have not used it other than to test.

This subwoofer is designed as a “high-end killer”. Indeed, the only commercial offering I can think of that even comes close is the Krell Master Reference Subwoofer at $28,000! It uses two of the same drivers this sub uses in a sealed enclosure that is equalized to bring up the low bass. In my opinion, a PR alignment is much better with these drivers. The assisted sealed arrangement will have more distortion in the lower octaves.

This subwoofer uses the renowned HE-15 driver from TC Sounds. This is one of the finest drivers available today, and is miles above what you find in a typical commercial subwoofer. It has a real useable peak-to-peak excursion of 2.75” and a displacement of over 6 liters! In a test performed by Tom Noussaine, a prototype of this subwoofer in a box essentially the same as the box I am selling here outperformed the previous favorite, the Velodyne F-1800 by a sizable margin! At 20Hz, the Velodyne put out 106db, while the HE-15 put out 110db! Mind you, that Velodyne is an 18” driver, versus the 15” HE!

Please follow this link for Tom’s complete assessment… http://www.stryke.com/power15-res.htm (Please note this link is to fine folks at Stryke Audio – who graciously allowed me to link here)

Box size is approximately 22” cubed. There is one 15” driver, and two 15” passive radiators.

NOTE! You will need the following to use this subwoofer!

A dedicated amplifier capable of at least 700W RMS.
This is a good starting point, but this sub has shown itself capable of handling the full brunt of a Crown K2 at 2500W! P.A. amplifiers are perfect for the task of driving this thing.
A crossover – Most home theater receivers have a built-in crossover that will suffice. If your receiver lacks that function, or you are using a regular stereo preamp, you will need a good line level crossover such as those sold by Marchand Electronics or Rane.

If you would like, for an additional $550, I will install a plate amplifier for you from Adire Audio. http://www.adireaudio.com/cd/hs500.htm They have a new 700W subwoofer amplifier that is up to the task. It costs $500, so essentially, I would be installing this for close to free. (After tax and shipping)

This option is quite attractive, as it eliminates the need for both an amp and a crossover. This takes the simplicity down to the level of a store bought subwoofer.

Also included with this sub: This sub requires a subsonic filter to be used. I am including a line level device of my own design called the “PhloodPhilter”. I normally sell these items for $60, but since it is a requirement for this sub, I am including one. A description can be found here… http://www.hoppehome.com/phloodphilter/ (That web page is not quite finished, but you get the idea.) Operation is very simple. It’s a little black box that patches in between your crossover and amplifier. It’s job is to filter out damaging subsonics while extending the useful frequency response. This is known as a 6th order assisted alignment.

From this view from the side, you can see one of the passive radiators. There is another passive radiator on the other side!

Pardon the spots on the pictures. Also, that white glitch near the surround of the passive radiator is only in the picture.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Some more info on the HE-15; This driver is sold under various brand names of which I am not at liberty to mention, but I can say that this is essentially the same driver that was recently offered as a special one-time-only group purchase at Stryke Audio. This particular driver differs from the Stryke woofer only in that it uses a paper cone rather than aluminum. Neither type is necessarily better actually.

See http://www.stryke.com/SATser.html for a complete description of this driver. Price after the one-time offer is now up to $1000!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

That magnet is so huge, it makes the driver look like a 10”! It’s hard to describe just how beautiful it is in person.

Specs of the driver are as follows…

Fs: 26 Hz
Qms: 6.0
Qes: .345
Qts: .326
Vas: 106.7 L
Re: 6 ohm
BL: 27.3 Tm
no: .529%
1W SPL: 89 dB
Cms: .145 mm/N
Mms: 257 grams
Rms: 7.0 kg/s
max: 35 mm
Sd: 720 cm^2
Vd: 6.5L total
PEmax: ~ 2000W

This is a close-up of one of the passive radiators. The bolt through the center is to hold the mass-loading washers to the cone. The mass is added to the cone to tune the box to the desired frequency. 18Hz in this case.

A view from the backside. Note that there are two sets of connectors, as this is a dual voice coil sub. Each coil is 4 ohms, so it can be configured as a 2-ohm or 8-ohm sub, or you can hook one amplifier to each coil.

A close-up of the finish. The veneer is red oak with a stained and dyed finish topped off with several coats of polyurethane. It has a sort of Mission Oak look to it. I think it looks just beautiful! Of course it looks even better in person.

A view of the interior. Note the extensive bracing of the walls. Not only do the walls have ribbed braces, but they are also braced to the adjacent walls. The wood plank between the passive radiators is extremely effective. It couples the two PR’s together, and since they move exactly opposite each other, most of the cabinet vibration they would have produced is effectively cancelled out!

So, how does it sound? Well, I am biased of course, but this is one of the sweetest sounding subs I have ever built! The bass extension is clean down to about 16Hz, yet it plays as tight as a drum! 15” subwoofers have a reputation for being “sloppy sounding”. That reputation is actually based on older drivers that were usually just 15” cones strapped on to the same motor as they would use on the 12’s and 10’s! With the powerful motor on the HE-15, it is as tight as can be!

Musical, effortless and powerful – this subwoofer is equally at home for music or Home Theater.

Terms: You must be willing to pick up from my place in Evanston, just north of Chicago proper. It weighs at least 100 pounds, and I’m afraid of what a shipping company like UPS might do to it! If you are willing to arrange for special freight delivery, that is fine too. It may very well be worthwhile for you. After all, this is a sub on par with the Krell for a many thousands less!

Payment by cash in person, MO, cashier’s check or Paypal is all fine…

Thanks for looking! Hopefully I’ll find the right home for this!

Price is $1000 smackeroonies! I know this is a lot of bread, but that's how much the driver alone costs! With this, you get a beatiful enclosure that took me about a week's worth of evenings to build, as well as the passive radiators. Tuned, tested and ready to rumble!

If you would like an audition first, you are welcome to come by my house and have a listen, no obligation...

Status
Not open for further replies.