• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A howler....Men suffer a hearing loss as age progresses from some 5dB by age of 40 and more like 15dB by the age of 60. As I'm between the two, I like my music really loud. Further subtract dB's from effects of cow bells, throw-in some tinnitus and the answer is ....... I'm xxxx stone deaf!

rich

Right on Kilowatt

Right on my man. The lady answered 3, which is about as close as she could have come, but the "correct" answer given was 100. It was the $64,000 question, so she lost 32 grand.

100 would be approx correct for the power output increase of 20db, but the question had to do with loudness increase.

I emailed ABC, "Millionaire" and explained the situation, and asked them to correct it.

Re: Right on Kilowatt

Positron said:
100 would be approx correct for the power output increase of 20db, but the question had to do with loudness increase.

I emailed ABC, "Millionaire" and explained the situation, and asked them to correct it.

Eh? Now we're definetly talking real dB ('cuz loudness is a figure of power), and 30-10 = 20dB, chug thru the antilog and you get a 100x ratio, period.

Tim

Nope

True, 100 times the power represents approx 20db increase in output power represented in watts.

But there is a big difference between output power and what a human hears as "loudness".

A good rule of thumb, from my understanding, is that every 10db increase represents about a doubling of "loudness". So 20db would sound approx 4 times as loud to the person listening, not 100 times as "loud".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.