Non-Conventional Audio Parts and Sources

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hi,

I have been wanting to start this thread for a while now. Today is as good a day as any.

There is a ton of ingenuity out there in the world. I hope you can share some of it here. Please share with us items you have used in your audio projects that are not typlically used for audio equiment.

Pictures are welcome!

For example, one of my favorite is the Ikea wood bowl sphere speakers.
BLANDA MATT Serving bowl - 11 " - IKEA

Again from Ikea, the Lack table for an audio rack. I wrote up an article for EnjoytheSound.com. It's in the DIY section. It appeared last year.
LACK Side table - high gloss/pink, 21 5/8x21 5/8 " - IKEA

I have used a number 13" crochet needle as a tone arm and a smaller one for the pivot point on a unipivot tonearm. The plinth is a chopping block from Bed, Bath and Beyond. The counter weight is a plumb weight from Home Depot.
Table_0 - My Photo Gallery

If you have any unconventional audio part ideas, please share them here!

Love this thread idea.

A few years ago I created a plinth for my Thorens TD124 by creating a sandwich from a pair of Ikea honeycombe-inside tables.

183558954_aafb4a7625.jpg

183558624_c2987024bf.jpg

Here's the thread:

Re: new Thorens TD124 owner - albertoderoma - Vintage Asylum

Alberto

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Selector and volume switch extender

Hardware stores like Home Depot have threaded rod extenders. They also have aluminum and steel rods without threading. With a drill press and vise or drill and pliers, you can drill out the threads in the extenders and join the the selector and volume control shafts to extend them to the front of a chassis. Only catch is you will need set screws. With a tapping kit it's easy. Home Depot has set screws of all sizes. If no tapping kit is available, just try self-tapping screws. Run it through and then cut off the screw's cutting tip

The "L" brackets are just steel brackets drilled out to fit the controls threading.

Is it worth it? Maybe if you are trying to squeeze out as much performance as possible.

Enjoy,

Vince

Attachments

• b3-pre_prewiring_01.jpg
    b3-pre_prewiring_01.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
reuse DVD player case

It is not the little things that stop you from building, it's the expensive ones!

Casework has been known to stop a few otherwise avid solder slingers. For a preamp I curb picked a DVD player, gutted it and threw away the plastic front replacing it with a sheet of plastic with a photo stuck to the back side. Looking for some WAF? Let her pick the photo ;-)

The amp underneath was built from aluminium from the scrap yard which has huge boxes full of CPU coolers and larger pieces of angle aluminium and aluminium brackets!

Attachments

• pic re use.jpg
    pic re use.jpg
    550.9 KB · Views: 152
  • frt re use.jpg
    frt re use.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 100
  • back of re use.jpg
    back of re use.jpg
    400.7 KB · Views: 89
jdg123, cool idea. I've saved a few chassis from expired electronics but was trying to figure out how to make the front useable. You may just have answered my question. And yes, I too am one who often hesitates on solder-slinging projects b/c of the case challenge.

what's the deal :0

Carlp,

Gosh yes there are so many cool gizmos I'd like to incorporate into some pieces I dream out while I take my morning coffee. Then I wake up.

I am dealt time and no money right now so my ideas are focused that way, toward what's free or nearly so. Solving the ugly nose problem on the ubiquitous DVD player carcass was a simple bit of inspiration, I had plexi and I have a lot of photographs. I hope this solution speaks to someone out there:)

Now I am thinking about casework that can shed a lot of heat for a big class A amp. I wonder if they ever scrap power transformer cases? I think I'll put in a call to my electric co-op:rolleyes:

Cheers!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.