The end for conventional loudspeakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You would need a lot of those little chips to synthesise the wavefront at a distance far enough from the "point souce" that the mems elements can actually move enough air.
The stock price shot up today so the posting here (and elsewhere?) could have made someone rich

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Despite what the guy says the physics of the mechanical/air interface still follow the same rules. These are essentially an x by y array (32x32?) of tiny speakers, they may be driven differently than a typical VC driver but they still (at least based on the illustration) are a piston with a suspension.

dave

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I think the operative phrase is this:
good quality sound in a form factor that is far more compliant with current device and lifestyle trends.

Lifestyle trends are to walk around with your nose buried in a smart phone or other similar little screen. COnventional speakers are tough to stick into something 7mm thick. Even a laptop is tough to get convincing sound out of.

Just an opinion, but if they could make a larger area of the panels able to emit sound, it might well improve the crappy sound that currently comes out of cell phones.

I don't think they expect to replace my JBL L-100s.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
those people completely forgot about headphones...I was listening to that youtube video, by my headphones, thinking how great he sounds, big deep voice, when he enounced how pathetic it must sound on todays devices, when they purposely cut the lows out and even added phase distortion, f#ck that, I thought, have you guys ever heard about good headphones?; I guess not...since I am not registered youtuber, I could not leave the comment, but I left thumbs down...we all should

Joined 2002
Paid Member
They jumped from$3.87 to $5.15

Every step they make toward a functional product now, will raise the stock price exponentially.

I read their main patent.
They are on the right track.

In my ex professional life I have experienced the evolutionary steps from a single transducer to arrays of transducers, to phase arrays of transducers. (The later -for non moving transducers- means focusing in space and steering the combined beam for to control directivity and polar response in all planes.)
That was with ultrasonic testing (1MHz-50MHz) and with Eddy Current testing (1kHz-10MHz)
The problems that had to be solved in these technologies made many to be skeptical of the outcome, considering transducers dimensions, inter spacing and beam interactions relative to the very small wavelengths involved.
But all problems were solved and the results closely matched the theoretic predictions.

Phase array technology has most of it’s problems already worked out and tested in critical and demanding sectors of technology (medical, nuclear, aerospace)
It is a mature technology, a powerful and flexible tool. Stepping (down) toward audio was to be expected .
It only has to be integrated in a mass-produced form for to become low priced.

As usual, the revolutionary wave will come through the mass gadget market and will hit the white elephants with a delay.
The research going on now aims toward how existing theoretical knowledge can be cheaply (mass manufacturing) embedded into small size products with low power demands.
The elephants will serve later as repackagers of “delux” oversized versions of the same (save some fancy names and appropriate de-mything).
The technological products will be cheap nevertheless and widely available (or just because of this. Remember, video card, sound card…)

George

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Nothing stems out from the cold.:)
If you are talking about acoustic MEMS, there is prior knowledge and art but it’s not where you site.
It’s with the MEMS companies dealing with hearing aids and microphones.
There are many (*), some have the knowledge, some have the markets and the money (0.5 -1 billion MEMS microphones for mobile devices per year), thus, a lot of take-overs and acquisitions happens there.

George

(*) A few that I traced:
Analog Devices, Akustika, Bosch Sensortec, Freescale, Infineon, Knowles Acoustics, Omron, STMicroelectronics, Sonion, Wolfson Microelectronics,
China: AAC Acoustic Technologies (Shenzhen) Co. Ltd. Shangdong Goer Acoustics Technology Co. Ltd, Suzhou MEMSensing Microsystems Co. Ltd.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Interesting technology. I see only the chip as new. I built devices like this (direct digital to the air) back in 1990. That's what got me interested in Class-D amps. Alas the non-linearity of air bit me in butt. It's a cool idea, but difficult to make practical.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.