I´m stuck with ML TQWT sim. Any help?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have tried to do a M. King-Simulation for the Gradient W 160 AL 8 woofer. Pic 1 shows its TSP and my sim data, Pic 2 the calculated SPL and phase diagramms.
I know that it can be done better, but changing the different parameters leads me nowhere. I constantly get lost in the many adjusting screws I can turn.
Can anybody lead me to the appropriate changes/values? Particularly I have no idea, when to change the port values and how to calculate them correctly.

My goal is a flat response with Xmax staying below 3 mm. Efficiency is not an issue, because play back levels will be low.

Thanks for your effort.

Attachments

• grad_tsp.gif
    grad_tsp.gif
    5.9 KB · Views: 905

GM

Joined 2003
Actually, for this driver you did pretty darn good! This driver's specs don't lend themselves to plotting the classic T/S max flat alignment due to the high aspect ratio required. I have a fairly good way to quickly calculate pipes and couldn't improve on yours by much, and it's debatable as to whether there's any audible difference. Frankly, as low as these are tuned, whichever alignment you build may require a longer vent to blend into the room's gain better so will probably look more like yours than mine once voiced in-room.

Anyway, for a T/S max flat, I get:

L = 42"
So/SL = Sd*2.5729
Xo = 0.3547
Rp = 1.25"
Lp = 4.75"
density = 0.4lbs/ft^3

Since you're not planning on using high power, the vent can be scaled back to Rp = 1", Lp = 2.75" to reduce the upper BW 'ripple' a bit.

To get a bit more LF gain, as you appear to want, I recommend:

L = 52.88"
So/SL = Sd*2.5989
Xo = 0.3352
Rp = 1.25"
Lp = 2.75"
density = 0.4lbs/ft^3

Again, low power vent can be smaller, Rp =1", Lp = 1.5".

Please let us know what you wind up building and what stuffing/vent length you settle on in case someone else wants to use this driver, especially since we're using published specs and our sims could be pretty far off.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.