Any educated ideas about this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Undertone ? Zu Audio

So anyone who has heard Zu subwoofers can attest to their fantastic performance and musicality..
I have only recently picked up DIY as a hobby in audio and will be finishing my first pair of speakers shortly. My next project will be an active system ( quite probably Mark Audio's 10p full range drivers and stereo sealed subs )..
Any educated guesses about the tuning of this enclosure in question? 38cmx38cmx63.5cm are the dimensions of the enclosure. It is sealed and uses Eminence's LAB 12. I haven't yet heard this specific design, but from previous experiences with Zu speakers and subs I am 100% sure the claimed frequency response is authentic. I do know that to extend to full 20hz one has to apply +3 db at around 26 hz with these..i don't really care about that. That and the fact that i'll be going for stereo subs assures me that i'll have satisfying extension.
So once again my question would be what exactly is the trick with such an enclosure? I'd love to build it.

Thanks a lot

So once again my question would be what exactly is the trick with such an enclosure? I'd love to build it.
The trick is they don't show a chart of the cabinet's frequency response ;).

The chart below is a pair of Lab 12 in a sealed enclosure of about 5 cubic feet (141 liters) measured outdoors at 2 meters, the smaller Zu enclosure would roll off even more than the -20 dB at 14 Hz you see here.

Attachments

• Lab 2x12 sealed.png
    Lab 2x12 sealed.png
    113.6 KB · Views: 255
Thanks for your replies!
So as expected the claimed frequency response is rather optimistic!
I'd still love the idea of stereo sealed LAB 12s though! Given an internal volume of 50 litres, respectively, would 30-32hz be doable? I'm more interested in the sonic quality of such a solution than sheer extension!

Thanks for your replies!
So as expected the claimed frequency response is rather optimistic!
I'd still love the idea of stereo sealed LAB 12s though! Given an internal volume of 50 litres, respectively, would 30-32hz be doable? I'm more interested in the sonic quality of such a solution than sheer extension!
There was no claimed frequency response in Zu's specifications, only a frequency range :rolleyes:.

If by "doable", you mean around -10 or -12 dB at 30 Hz, yes.
Take another look at the response I posted in #5, at 50 liters you can expect less LF than that, since the sealed enclosure measured has about 71 liters per driver.

That said, the mic I used for that test is around -3 dB at 20 Hz, so a 50 liter sealed cabinet actually would have response pretty similar.

Art

Yeah, you're right it was only the range!
Ok then..what kind of a sealed configuration would get me down to 30hz? I would only ever do a sealed sub.
Where would a pair of LAB 12s in 140L enclosures each side get me?
Or any other drivers, for that matter? Sonic qualities come first

The PAL12 at 300L or so, is about as efficient as you're going to get from a single 12" AND being able to reproduce into the 35hz range with it.

It is down at 30hz by a few db

So unless you're prepared to use 4+ drivers, don't expect a ton of 30hz bass in 50L cabinets.

Rule of thumb, you either spend more $ on drivers and amplifier power to get the response you want in a small package, or you spend a little more $ on wood, build a more efficient cabinet, use less power, and for all of that it is at the expense of cabinet volume.

Don't try to disprove Hoffmans iron law.

May I ask why you're limiting yourself to a sealed sub? If its a size thing, yes, you NEED to go sealed to get that kind of response from a small cabinet. But you need EQ as well.

If its not the size issue, and only a "sonic quality" thing, have you heard other arrangements that have been properly implemented?

Yeah, old trick ! Unfortunately less clued up peeps will fall for it :(

The reason why i was mentioning response is my previous experience with Zu speakers and subwoofers. I have yet to hear one that fails to meet the claimed response! Including sealed subs that DID go down to 20hz in relatively small packages! ( Zu Method ).
Also please check this out : http://static.squarespace.com/stati...8b6bb83ab/1375639663340/Definition-4A_C+S.pdf
It's one of Zu's floorstanders which happens to use a downfiring LAB12 as well. Freq response chart included.
So I'm not all that clueless, still i will happily accept the opinion of the more experienced DIYers on here when they say that stereo sealed LAB12s in 50L enclosures will not get me down to 30hz, since i haven't even heard this type of sub. But my previous experiences hold up.

@m R g S r
The reason why i'm opting for a sealed design is simple. So far the only subs that have managed to fully please me were sealed designs..I love a quick, responsive bass that can match the speed of the rest of the range ( .
Others that i have heard include REL's Stentor III, Horn loaded designs..including more expensive Danleys.
NOW because there could exist solutions other than a sealed one, I'd be more than happy to hear, I'm sure you've heard tens of different designs. It's just that I'd prefer sealed..

The reason why i was mentioning response is my previous experience with Zu speakers and subwoofers. I have yet to hear one that fails to meet the claimed response! Including sealed subs that DID go down to 20hz in relatively small packages! ( Zu Method ).
Also please check this out : http://static.squarespace.com/stati...8b6bb83ab/1375639663340/Definition-4A_C+S.pdf
It's one of Zu's floorstanders which happens to use a downfiring LAB12 as well. Freq response chart included.
Yes. But you don't mention that the response it's for "subwoofer active, filters optimized", as we can see from posted subsequent graphs (Filters set at factory position #1/PEQ +6 @ 20Hz in #2).

In a sealed standard 50L passive sub you have for (pic below) Eminence Lab 12 -8dB@30Hz and for Eminence Lab 12C (High Power) -10@30Hz, with this driver being more sensitive ~2.5dB.

Attachments

• #1 EMINENCE LAB 12, VB = 50.0 L.gif
    #1 EMINENCE LAB 12, VB = 50.0 L.gif
    102.2 KB · Views: 150
  • #2 PEQ +6 @ 20Hz.gif
    #2 PEQ +6 @ 20Hz.gif
    43.3 KB · Views: 153
  • #3 AMPLITUDE RESPONSE.gif
    #3 AMPLITUDE RESPONSE.gif
    60.1 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Yeah, you're right it was only the range!
Ok then..what kind of a sealed configuration would get me down to 30hz? I would only ever do a sealed sub.
Where would a pair of LAB 12s in 140L enclosures each side get me?
Or any other drivers, for that matter? Sonic qualities come first
It would get the same response I posted in #5, with the addition of room modes.
Plenty loud for most people.

I have a pair of the measured cabinets for sale, they have ports at 36 Hz, the ports were sealed for the test in #5. Presently they have only one Lab 12 per cabinet with the extra hole covered.

My latest subwoofer using a single 12" driver was a ~70L ported box, with a long slot port to tune to ~18Hz.

Of course, the (modelled) response was a few decibels down at such LF, so I used a 31-band graphic eq to flatten the response.

Its a useful compromise between lots of eq for a sealed box, and a really big ported box.

Turns out the floor has a resonance at 14Hz :D

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.