• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Mr Evil's Capacitance Multiplier Power Supply PCB

*** November 9, 2013 - A new GB list has been started ***

Please see post #171 for an update.

If you are reading this thread for the first time, please DO visit at least the second link below. If you are interested in the boards, please post a one-line request. I have planned to make at least one small order in the next 2-3 weeks, so there does not have to be any minimum number of boards for a group buy, but it will be first-come-first-serve.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/51817-improving-capacitance-multiplier.html
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/53359-finished-capacitance-multiplier.html

My thanks to Mr Evil for letting us use his thread to get the PCB off the ground and into production. The board in the pics below was designed from his schematic, with some minor modifications and options and for higher supply voltage than the original. My original goal was to use this PSU with Lazy Cat's VSSA as an alternative to switching supplies, and with through hole VSSA boards (see pics below).

The operating range is up to +/-50V output voltage, 5A peak current. The semiconductors and caps specified in the power supply are selected for up to 100W/channel, class A-B operation. This is not the maximum possible, but it is the limit for the components listed in the revision B BOM. The rectifier diodes and the large electrolytic capacitors should be selected for the intended use - there is no single formula that covers every possible application. Higher supply voltages require some component substitutions.

Key Features:

• Soft turn-on (to reduce amp turn-on thump and other audible noise)
  • Adjustabe Dropout Voltage (for low and medium power applications)
  • Higher efficiency than typical Capacitance Multiplier
  • Lower noise than most Capacitance Multipliers (under 20mV, tested)
  • Moderate component cost (under $25 plus cost of electrolytic caps)
  • Capacity for 100 watt/channel Class A-B power amplifier
Documentation:

Schematic and BOM in PDF form are attached. Links to a Mouser BOM are below:

Key Components: https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=2f2cddc696
Miscellaneous Components: https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManag...jectGUID=44bfeb06-a22a-4041-b761-bd9d71be3daf

I will post additional details and documentation as time allows, but there are already technical details and test results in the two threads referenced above. Posts specific to this board start here:

PCB discussion, testing, components, heatsinks, etc.

The PCB is in revision B. The boards are professionally fabricated, two layer, top and bottom solder mask, top silkscreen, plated holes.

Costs (Updated 22. August):

PCB, $10 each, plus shipping and Paypal fees.
Each board ships with two Jfets and two 3-mm LED's at no extra charge.

Typical cost incl. boards, padded envelope, shipping, and Paypal fee has been as follows:

US Domestic First Class, Large Envelope:

1 board: $13.50
2 boards: $23.75
3 boards: $34.50
4 boards: $45.25
6 boards: $66.75

Canada:

1 board $13.75
2 boards: $24.25
3 boards: $35.00
4 boards: $45.75
6 boards: $67.00

Europe and International:

1 board: $14.25
2 boards: $25.50
3 boards: $37.75
4 boards: $49.00
6 boards: $71.75

If requesting shipping via USPS International Parcel as merchandise, with customs declaration (and a very official looking label), please plan to add $6.50 to the cost above. In all other cases, boards are shipped by regular mail.

Attachments

• VSSA_PSU4_1.jpg
    VSSA_PSU4_1.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 6,934
  • VSSA_PSU4_2.jpg
    VSSA_PSU4_2.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 6,689
  • Cap_Multiplier PCB rev B.jpg
    Cap_Multiplier PCB rev B.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 6,816
  • PSU4_revA.jpg
    PSU4_revA.jpg
    410.7 KB · Views: 6,686
  • PSU4_VSSA.jpg
    PSU4_VSSA.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 6,482
  • VSSA_PeeCeeBee3.jpg
    VSSA_PeeCeeBee3.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 2,266
  • PSU4 - Schematic.pdf
    43.9 KB · Views: 2,757
  • PSU4 (Bill Of Materials) (1).pdf
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,220
Last edited:
Updated List, as of 20. August

The following is the list of names signed up for boards, from Mr Evil's thread.
I believe this includes everyone who requested boards from the current order, which was split into a couple batches, increased and arriving in multiple shipments as explained earlier.

IvanLukic(4) paid, 4 hold for parts, 1 shipped
Freeman(2) 1 shipped, 2 hold
Idefixes(4) on vacation, hold
Touchdown(2) paid
vgeorge(2) shipped
Jameshillj(2) shipped
Jsixis(2) shipped
Praudio(4) shipped
Compressit(2) shipped
Cambe(2) shipped)
Gannaji(1) hold for parts
Potepuh(4) on vacation
Syklab(2)
quan(4)
tjencks(2)
BYRTT(4)
Ryssen(2)
rickmcinnis(3)
Joachim Gerhard(2)
still4given(2)
Rick G(2)
androa76(2)
fredlock(2)
stajo(4)
kimon(2)
SigFire (2)
vitalica(4)
dw1narso (2)
analog_sa(2)
buzzforb(2)
kindhornman (6) hold for September shipping
Luke(4)
pchw (4)
jj506 (4)
TheShaman (2)
Raj1 (6)
Ranchu32 (2)
Pinnocchio (2)

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
IvanLukic(4) paid, 4 hold for parts, 1 shipped
Freeman(2) 1 shipped, 2 hold
Idefixes(4) on vacation, hold
Touchdown(2) paid
vgeorge(2) shipped
Jameshillj(2) shipped
Jsixis(2) shipped
Praudio(4) shipped
Compressit(2) shipped
Cambe(2) shipped)
Gannaji(1) hold for parts
Potepuh(4) on vacation
Syklab(2)
quan(4)
tjencks(2)
BYRTT(4)
Ryssen(2)
rickmcinnis(3)
Joachim Gerhard(2)
still4given(2)
Rick G(2)
androa76(2)
fredlock(2)
stajo(4)
kimon(2)
SigFire (2)
vitalica(4)
dw1narso (2)
analog_sa(2)
buzzforb(2)
kindhornman (6) hold for September shipping
Luke(4)
pchw (4)
jj506 (4)
TheShaman (2)
Raj1 (6)
Ranchu32 (2)
Pinnocchio (2)
tinitus (2)

added my name to the list, with 2 boards

thanks

sounds like you are saying the GB is closed :confused:
No, sorry I was not more clear.

First - Everyone on the list above will be supplied boards.
(some of those people have waited for me to get this done for 4 weeks!)

For my own convenience, as well as prompt shipment for the first few people, the GB was split into several orders. First batch of boards has been shipped out. Second one is arriving today. And will start shipping on Friday.

I have already promised one more order, so anyone at the end of the list, or who adds their name in the near future will be included. Since I am doing this in my spare time (and I have open requests for nx-Amp and through hole VSSA/PeeCeeBee), each step can take a day... :(

PMI,

I would be interested in 2 boards too. Saw this a bit too late. I am assuming you can feed DC voltage to this board and bypass the diode/input capacitor? I already have diodes/caps on another board.

Thanks
Yes, the board is designed for this already. There are two sets of connectors on the sides, for unregulated DC input, or output (output to another board used at lower power, with separate filter) Not fully tested, but included in the design. For this, C11 and C12 are not optional without a bit of hf suppression, you have a potential antenna here)

The connection points are labeled DC+ and DC-, and located just ahead of and adjacent to the fuse holder. The connector, C11/C12, and fuse holder are in close proximity on the edge of the board.

Attachments

• PSU4B - Top Silkscreen.pdf
    15 KB · Views: 391
I would be happy to etch my boards if anybody can share a pdf in black and white.
Is anyone able to help me on this ?
Idefixes can do that, and has examples already posted in the other thread. In fact, we are trying to encourage and support that from the beginning, going back to the PeeCeeBee thread, and in the spirit and following Shaan's example.

Unfortunately, my layout is not as suitable in that regard as Marc's (Idefixes). When he returns from vacation, I shall tackle that again w. his help, however, he has already invested a bit of time in this, so using his version as is may be best for etching at home.

Hi Peter, how much is shipping of 4 boards to Australia?. Just a flat pad envelop, nothing fancy.
Quan
The first post has been updated to show cost including shipping for as many combinations as I had time to look up on the US Post Office web site. The total cost is based on the number of boards, ~1.2 oz per board weight, padded envelope, and 3.9%+$0.30 Paypal Fee.