Advice for the Blind, Unsteady, Middle-Aged, Fat Fingered and Detail Challenged...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have huge problems with basic, simple tasks. Threading the miniscule speaker terminals with wire whose colour I cannot see because it's too small. My hands shake back and forth 1.5 cm making soldering and working with anything small a challenge. I have all the lights on, an LED headlamp, magnifying glasses, I simply cannot see a darn thing! I estimate that anything less than 10mm in diameter is too small for me to work with. I would guess that nothing less than a 100x microscope and a 500watt light bulb would fix this.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Well, when it comes to small, thin speaker wire going into small terminals, my suggestion is to:

A. Pick a wire, whether red or black.

B. Pull it apart from the other wire for several inches, so that you are holding only one color wire in your fingers-the other color is not even in your hand.

C. Twist the end of the wire to make it pointy.

D. Make a 90 degree angle with the wire so you can lower the wire into the terminal.

That's just for hooking up speakers. Good luck!

Attachments

• wire terminal.jpg
    wire terminal.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 134
Re the shakes, don't :cheers: :D

Actually it's usually due to breathing,(or rather the lack thereof): when most people try to concentrate on a fiddly task they tend to hold their breath, which causes oxygen depletion / carbon dioxide retention, resulting in the shakes. This then makes them even more frustrated, further increasing this tendency. Most people are entirely unaware they have actually stopped breathing during this process.

The answer: learn to become aware of and control your breathing when carrying out fiddly tasks. Consciously take regular regular breaths and exhalations and I am sure your soldering technique will improve.:)

Re you vision :bigeyes: - see an optometrist !

Last edited:
Clearly I did not communicate correctly. I have glasses, but I cannot see the color of wire without magnification. Everything is too small and too fine and lacks high enough contrast for me to differentiate between two wires. This is with additional light, and with glasses, and with magnification. Oh well. Thanks?

In that case, you should take the help of the DMM to identify and check the wires you connected. Do not miss it for anything you do.

Hand shake is told to me by the doctors is normal. It agrevates if I am tired or had a sleepless night.

To help you with it, you should place your working forearm on a steady support.

Gajanan Phadte

Last edited:
Night blindness,
In a brightly lit room with an LED lamp shining on the workspace? I don't think so. My night vision is better than most. In a darkened room I can see what most others cannot. No, this is only wrt small items, electronics and such. It's probably just being middle aged. Expecting to be able to do what you could at 25 is silly.
see an optometrist !
All say my vision is fine.

There is something very incongruous with what you describe and your optometrists' assessment of your vision as being 'fine'.

If I were to contact my optometrist and describe the type short distance visual impairment you outlined in your first post I am sure he would request that he fully assess the cause of my hyperopia.

Last edited:
Strange as it may seem, the vitamin D deficiency problem has become increasingly prevalent in Australia. Due to high rates of skin cancer the population is encouraged to limit its exposure to the sun from an early age. Kids are taught that a tan is not healthy; on the contrary it is a sign of skin damage.

It is interesting to note when watching recent cricket matches that the English team members are more tanned than their Australian counterparts (ignoring racial characteristics).

Physicians are now prescribing vitamin D supplements to a large section of the community, so I assume they may have some effect.

Last edited:
Eye doctors often seem reluctant to prescribe sufficiently strong reading additions, possibly because stronger adds reveal the limitations of progressive lenses. Take some small electronic components with you when you visit the eye doctor, and see if they can find a prescription that will work for you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.