More power out of bass combo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

Can somebody please tell me, if it's possible to replace the tda2040 based power amp section with more powerful one on my small bass guitar amp?

I'm allready going to have tda7294 power amp board. Can I use that or is some other design more suitable on 50-100w power range.

Thanks, J

The power amp IC doesn't create power, it simply controls power passing through from the power supply. If your power supply cannot provide 100 watts, putting in a 100 watt power amp IC won't make it so. In the sense that putting racing tires on your mom's car won't all of a sudden make it go 200 miles an hour.

Are you really after increased power? Or are you hoping to make it louder? If you just want more sound, connecting the amp chassis to a larger speaker cabinet will make a large difference. If the combo is 1x10 and you connect it to a 4x10 it will sound a lot larger. Or a 1x15 or a 4x12.

Sit your amp in the middle of the room and play it. Listen to it. Now move it to a wall, and listen, then into a corner and listen. Those surfaces direct sound from the speaker and add to the loudness. Someone else just wrote that experiment yesterday, but I can't recall who, otherwise I'd give them credit.

As noted above, you will not increase power unless you also put a larger power supply and speaker there.

So if you will need to replace/increae:
a) power supply : transformer/caps/diodes
b) chip amp (and provide increased heat sinking for it)
c) a larger speaker, which also means a larger cabinet

then what you should *actually* do is to build an extra cabinet, fit a speaker, PSU and chipamp inside it, so you now have a Powered Cabinet, and drive it from your original amp.

It's a good solution: for bedroom practice you use the original amp, as-is, and to play along a drummer (loud guys :( ) you add the powered cabinet.

Thank's for the replies guys.

A little explanation:
It's for jazz (no need for ultimate lows) and I like it small. I understand it's going to need a bigger power supply. Cabinet enclosure is about 0.5 cu ft (16 litres) and I already have 2 candidates for replacement speaker; eminence legend bp102 and 102-4 (4 & 8 ohm, 150-200w). Preamp section is decent with switchable limiter, 3-band eq, line-out and phones out. There is plenty of room at the amp "chassis".

-J-

Last edited:
@ Nigel Goodwin:
not to hijack the thread, but I find it weird that when I click that link, I get a *very* different schematic ..... and no TDA2030 anything visible or even clickable anywhere:
170W+Audio+Power+Amplifier++With+LM4651%26LM4652.gif

*Maybe* because it's google.UK and you are checking it from "inside" GB? :confused: :confused: :confused:

@kuurna (you aren't a Space Alien for which "Earth should stand still", are you?): post a couple gut pictures showing chassis and cabinet inside, *maybe" you can fit a power amp and PSU inside the *cabinet* section, leaving everything else as-is, using just the old preamp.
Driving the new 10", of course.

I suspect the limiter will stop working though.

@ Nigel Goodwin:
not to hijack the thread, but I find it weird that when I click that link, I get a *very* different schematic ..... and no TDA2030 anything visible or even clickable anywhere:
170W+Audio+Power+Amplifier++With+LM4651%26LM4652.gif

*Maybe* because it's google.UK and you are checking it from "inside" GB? :confused: :confused: :confused:

@kuurna (you aren't a Space Alien for which "Earth should stand still", are you?): post a couple gut pictures showing chassis and cabinet inside, *maybe" you can fit a power amp and PSU inside the *cabinet* section, leaving everything else as-is, using just the old preamp.
Driving the new 10", of course.

I suspect the limiter will stop working though.

Very odd???

Fine.

I would make a nice 10/20mm hole in the bottom of that chassis so as to pass 220V and signal cables to the lower side, where the speaker lives, and mount on the bottom of the enclosure an LM3886 power amp and its power supply, so turning the original amp ON will turn both ON at the same time.

The upper one can work without a speaker connected and the bottom one drives the new speaker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.