DIY Boombox: First Attempt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an annual camping trip with some college buddies, and we need tunes. I saw the "cooler boombox" in Crutchfield's latest add and was inspired. New to the home audio game. I've dabbled in car audio since the mid-90's. So far I've built a set of Zaph's SR71 and I'm hooked.

Having a long play time is a must, I'll have 2 people to carry the boombox if needed. Depending on price, I'm interested in using solar panels to charge the batteries. I could go up to 40lbs (less would always be ok). Dimensions are flexible shooting for around 24"W x 10"H x 10"D. Currently I'm listening to the Black Keys, Les Claypool's projects, Hendrix, hip-hop stuff, and even limited Dub Step. I'm willing to sacrifice the low end for my first attempt.

Here's where I'm at:

Please give me some feedback. I choose the OS kit because I lack the modeling skills for the enclosure and don't know how to sim the XO. Is the amp I choose too big? Sufficient power supply? What would I need for battery power to last me a weekend?

Thanks in advance, I've been lurking around for awhile. I did check out the boominator, too much for me.

Last edited:
Build a half or full Boominator. It doesn't get any better than that for your purpose.

Since you're in the US build it from the part recommended in the Boominator thread for a north American builders that does not have access to the p.audio HP10W yet.

It's GW1058 from parts express, and a suitable piezo replica of decent quality. If you go with the PE replicas, I advice buying twice the number you need and toss out those that aren't good.

Build a half or full Boominator. It doesn't get any better than that for your purpose.

Since you're in the US build it from the part recommended in the Boominator thread for a north American builders that does not have access to the p.audio HP10W yet.

It's GW1058 from parts express, and a suitable piezo replica of decent quality. If you go with the PE replicas, I advice buying twice the number you need and toss out those that aren't good.

Being a noob, I'm not able to model box volume or XOs. I did look through your thread, but info is soooo spread out and varied. I won't need the 360-sound you were going for....is there a concise build log for either the Half- or Mini-Boominator I could look at? Hopefully with a parts list and diagrams.

Bipolar does not only mean 360 sound, it also means a whole lot more when you talk free field performance. It will be physically impossible to get anywhere near the same bass performance in a similarly compact design without it being bipolar, so, yes, you need 360 sound. Absolutely.

Everything should be in the wiki Boominator although it's not maintained by myself so I can't really say for sure. Otherwise ask in the Boominator thread, or alternatively ask on the facebook fan page https://www.facebook.com/theboominator

Look at some of the Half Boominator (aka Halfinator) builds on the facebook page and you'll pretty quickly get the idea. It's not a very complicated build, it's just perfectly engineered.

Last edited:
Bipolar does not only mean 360 sound, it also means a whole lot more when you talk free field performance. It will be physically impossible to get anywhere near the same bass performance in a similarly compact design without it being bipolar, so, yes, you need 360 sound. Absolutely.

When you say bipolar, you are talking about the woofer configuration? Extra tweeters in the back would not be needed? Am I correct in thinking about additional output like adding a passive woofer?

Everything should be in the wiki Boominator although it's not maintained by myself so I can't really say for sure. Otherwise ask in the Boominator thread, or alternatively ask on the facebook fan page https://www.facebook.com/theboominator

Look at some of the Half Boominator (aka Halfinator) builds on the facebook page and you'll pretty quickly get the idea. It's not a very complicated build, it's just perfectly engineered.

The Wiki isn't very detailed or clear for the Mini, remember I'm new to this! I looked at the Mini's development thread and the facebook pictures, but again.......no parts list. The Mini designs are based on the Aura NS6, I didn't see a clear replacement?

I'm a fan of what you put together, no doubt.

When you say bipolar, you are talking about the woofer configuration? Extra tweeters in the back would not be needed? Am I correct in thinking about additional output like adding a passive woofer?

No. It's the entire design. If you change anything, you will get a poorer result.

The Boominator (even in half configuration) is perfectly suited and perfectly engineered for your exact purpose. Do not change anything in the design.

Well what are your premises? Ear-splitting loud or campfire background music? The OS has quite low sensitivity (83 dB 1W/1m) which means you have to settle with either low volume or a large amp. Large amp means large current consumption...
Half Boominator does not look bad if you are into high output. Otherwise this guy made something that seems ok spec'd. But not sure if you can get hold of the drivers in US:
Boombox "ghetto blaster"-design - Page 6

Well what are your premises? Ear-splitting loud or campfire background music? The OS has quite low sensitivity (83 dB 1W/1m) which means you have to settle with either low volume or a large amp. Large amp means large current consumption...
Half Boominator does not look bad if you are into high output. Otherwise this guy made something that seems ok spec'd. But not sure if you can get hold of the drivers in US:
Boombox "ghetto blaster"-design - Page 6

Campfire background music with good sound quality. I'm ok with larger amps and 1 or 2 batteries. I did notice that the OS had low sensitivity..... The kit is a good price and is all inclusive. I'm considering a small sub too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.